Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:38 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Here, the main health insurance, for everybody, is a public compulsory insurance (called Social Security).
The financing is directly taken from the salary, according to a percentage of the salary, and there is a free insurance for people who have no incomes.
It covers generally 80 % of the health care and it can be 100 % for serious or long-term illnesses. On the other hand some medicines called "comfort medicines" are less or not repaid , I think it should be, because some are natural medicines which proved their effectiveness.
Most of people take out a private complementary insurance to have a 100 % coverage.
There are no refund for alternative medicines except for the consultation if the practitioner you see, is a doctor.
Health care are the same for everybody (whatever the age :) ), we can choose our doctor, hospital or clinic and the area .. at least so far and I hope that it is going to continue, because there have been a deficit for several years, and they took some measures: referring doctor , less refund for some medicines…..
Nevertheless, I think that the most of people are satisfied with this system even if it has inconveniences and limits. The profit is that everybody can have access to health care.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Tim Bray in Canada passed this on so we can understand the basics of the Canadian health system. It doesn't address Arlo's concerns but it may help dispel some of the fear.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/14/health-care-abroad-canada/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Personally, I think that if the majority of the legislators and public look for an "all or nothing" ending, then we will wind up with the nothing. A compromise is better than nothing. But the fear mongers and unthinking reactionaries, along with the media focusing on them, are pushing the prospect of some kind of reform to the edge of that abyss.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Too many dogs fighting over the same bone, even if that bone at this point is only a theoretical, imaginary bone..........

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Prayers just said for ya. Good luck with the hemo problem...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:03 am

BlunderVirgin

I seen your inter view on CNN the other night. Very impressive. What we need with your views on health care is to get you up at these town halls then maybe we can get something done for a change.

The people of the US both republican and liberal love you and hang onto every word you say. Your presence and known ability for the truth may get these people to stop these protests and screaming to disrupt the progress that is trying to be accomplished.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am

Arlo Fanatic

A rant...

A question raised is do we have a right to health care. A right by birth? A right by citizenship? A right by … consent of the governed?

We choose to have universal health care because it is the right thing to do. The shelving of services by access to capital is the same in medicine as it is in music. That won’t change. On the other hand,

Childhood diseases can be better managed.

The old do not die without counsel or medicine.

The young can start a family sure that every new member gets nine months of prenatal care.

There is less fear. There is less violence. There is a better chance for every citizen to live a healthier, more productive, more fulfilled life.

What else are we doing with our money that is as important as THAT?

It’s a simple question.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:42 am

BlunderVirgin

Dr. Andrew Weil

has a couple of good articles on Huffingtonpost.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-we ... 54227.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

I just got an email from an unemployed friend of mine living in California. He had no insurance and a very large abdominal hernia. The surgeon and the hospital refused him surgery unless he had insurance. He applied to the county for insurance on the "expedited track".It took five weeks (35 days to the calendrically impaired)! In the meantime, he said his intestines kept falling through his abdominal muscle wall about 25 time a day. Fortunately, he had the surgery and is now on the mend. He's one of the "lucky" ones. But to have to jump through hoops to have necessary surgery is insane.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:39 pm

BlunderVirgin

i registered here after seeing a piece about you (arlo)
on cnn which ended with the (i'm paraphrasing here)
tagline: "He is opposed to healthcare reform."

i came here to get an accurate idea of your views on the matter.

no surprise, your views were simplified and misrepresented by
the interviewer. (am i mistaken, or was the interviewer daryn
kagan?)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
Prayers just said for ya. Good luck with the hemo problem...

Why thank you Cheryl. But, I can thank my ancestors :) for my condition as it is a rare hereditary disease however, if not managed properly can be very adverse. I just got to get with an insurance policy that understands the condition and is willing to work with me instead of writing me off. Which is what it feels like sometimes that they, my insurance provider, look at me and figure that I am going to be a burden on the system so do the minimum. I didn't ask for this disease it was handed down to me. This is why I say that there is need for health care reform. I am rambling..Health care is a very sensitive subject, In any case I do thank you for your prayers. Let’s all hope that this healthcare issue gets all worked out and we have something that just doesn't work for a small percentage of people but for everybody. Not saying that I am for or against just for reform. Many thanks again.
-Eric

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:12 am

Arlo Fanatic

Uh, oh! Now it looks like the public option is off the table, as well. What do we have left? Hmmmmm..... let me think. Could it be the "same ol' same old"?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

Wait! The public option is back on the table! Maybe.

This is getting worse than all of the nutritional thingies that keep changing. "Eggs are good for you. No, they're bad! They're good for you again!" Then there's the butter vs. margerine! Same game, different deal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thinking too much or too little is dangerous! I mean, what does that leave us? :? :shock: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 am

Arlo Fanatic

Stuck in the middle with you.