Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:37 am

BlunderVirgin

Hello, I’m new here and registered at this site because I enjoyed reading some independent thought on the health care reform issue.

Some thoughts of my own, if I may.

“Real reform requires a paradigm shift in our thinking.” Definitely. I would perhaps take it a little farther than food and suggest that considering what happens on the cellular level would be appropriate. (Lewis Thomas, Lives of a Cell makes interesting reading) Healing takes place in individual cells. We can support that process but we cannot create it. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but the cells damaged by the bacteria have to ultimately heal themselves. All any responsible health care practitioner can do is provide the best possible healing environment. This should include many types of treatment modalities. We have a whole host of options we didn’t have 50 years ago, which means that we can do an amazing number of things to and for people. The trick is to know the difference between doing something to someone, and doing something for someone. There is also the little matter of educating the American public (who seem, by and large, in terms of health care, to think that everything should be done to/for everyone) as to the difference.

And we want the government involved?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

12bar wrote:
Quote:
I know some one who has dual citizenship in Canada & the US. They go to Canada for major health care.

I find that interesting considering many from here opt to go to the US for health matters to circumvent the agonizing long waits here.

Could be, maybe, because they are self-employed in the US and can't afford to pay for health insurance. There are instances here of people who sell insurance yet can't afford their own.

And as for the government running or regulating it, well, right now it is for-profit big businesses running the health care system in The States. Are they more trust worthy than the government (not that either is)? They're in it for the money. The bottom line is not health care but profit! Think they're looking out for you? Yeah, right! It's the government regs that keep companies from manufacturing and selling crap that could be harmful or dangerous. Think we'd have car seat restraints if it were left up to Detroit? If the tobacco industry had no government intervention they'd be telling you that cigs are good for you (in fact, they did!).

Yeah, the government stickin' their nose in things can go overboard. But take away some of the regs that have actually been beneficial and, oh my friggin' powers that be, you'd hear the wailing and moaning coming from sea to polluted sea. There's got to be a happy medium. The biggest problem is that everybody thinks that this is Burger King and wants it done their way or none at all. And, I repeat, that will most likely result in the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:52 pm

BlunderVirgin

Arlo,

I applaud you!(yes,again)I could'nt agree with you MORE!!
I have health crae coverage(if you can call it that)thru my job.
It's no picnic! I truly believe this whole issue is really about the health
INSURANCE,not Health CARE! It seems to me,that the big pharmos and the Health care Ins.co's are More concerned about the dollars they can make and get,then the lives they can save.
I think the powers that be(the pres.&gov't)need to Reform the Insurance companies first,then deal with the rest of this Paradigm!
JMHO! Be Well!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

12bar wrote:
I find that interesting considering many from here opt to go to the US for health matters to circumvent the agonizing long waits here.

Ron

Just curious, 12bar. If you had to pick one or the other as they are today, which health care system would you choose, Canada's or the USA's?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DragonLady wrote:
Hello, I’m new here and registered at this site because I enjoyed reading some independent thought on the health care reform issue....
And we want the government involved?

Welcome--hope you'll stick around and get to know us, and we you. We may not be what you're looking for, though--we're not a health-care issue community, though it's something some of us are interested in discussing with our friends.

Just speaking for myself, I don't want Corporate America involved by their refusing to pay for alternative treatments, as my UnitedHealthCare does now, and then taking a big chunk of my money that should be going to pay the healthcare providers they will let me see. I'd rather my $800+/month went to a single-payer system, (And I doubt it would be that pricey, but if so, I would be no worse off.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Canada or US? Here's the latest Harris Poll:

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris ... sp?PID=927

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site. Like my dr says Medicare is just trying to have certain drs under them so they can get the big $$$ off them...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

:?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Big $$$ Cheryl??? I was under the impression that doctors in Pixley still got paid in chickens, apple pies and firewood :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

Just for information to those who cheered me up these past months, the new test scans are back and all results are normal. I'll be recovering some physical conditioning (sitting on butt for six months deconditions), but otherwise, the chemo is done until the cancer comes back (no cure for NHL) and I can resume normal activities.

If anything I do is actually normal. :P

Thanks for the Blundervibes and conversations! This is a good community. I'll gather up a chicken, two moon pies and some old Macs to send to the health care center.

Apples? Macintoshes ARE firewood. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

Good to hear that Len! :D :mrgreen: ( Larry now delves into awkward and scary 250 pound guy happy dance.......everybody please stand back)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:17 am

Arlo Fanatic

That's what I've been saying!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200 ... ackoflogic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:56 am

Arlo Fanatic

Greater than great news Len!! :D Blundervibes still transmitting ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I think they also accept eggs, child labor and moonshine :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

They probably still do lol. The reason I list my location as Pixley is my friend in town & I would call town Hooterville and the county Pixley lol. I just saw an ad on tv explaining that Obamas new health care could have some bad repercussions like it is in some countries with socialized medicine. LIke people have to wait along time before being approved for life saving surgeries and things and meanwhile they die. A woman from Canada had to come here to get her surgery cuz she couldn't get it there in enough time. I'd always heard they had better healthcare. I sure hope we don't get that way here. Yes, we need to make the healthcare better but... Obama, think first when doing your healthcare thing honey. I don't wanna be denied medical care cuz you socialized it...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

:?