Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:25 pm

BlunderVirgin

The Story of Fasha the Dog

I am often remembered in that ballad by Arlo Guthrie being one of three beings that lived in the old church in Great Barrington Massachusetts, the other two being Ray, a large pumpkin roller sort of a guy and Alice, who was far more generous with the table scraps, though too heavy with the brown rice and lentils and too light on the ham bones.

Fasha was not my first choice of names as a pup. I preferred my given name “Foucho” but as Ray tended to slur his speech at times till it morphed into what it later stuck as. Foucho was a cross between Groucho Marx and Fido, or maybe I was Grouchy and looked part French Poodle-Chihuahua, I don’t know. Who knows why Hippies name their kids Moonbeam or Asha Deliverance, Or Sparkle Cobweb? Anyway all things considered, I could have done far worse than Fasha.

Its not a bad place to live in Great Barrington if you like chasing squirrels. Unfortunately I hate chasing squirrels and much prefer chasing Buicks. I have to trot down the road some distance to Stockbridge to find any real traffic, and even there it is hardly what one could call a rush hour on the freeway. Now catching Fords is OK, and Chevy’s are fine as well. There are these new little foreign cars like the Beetle and the Corolla that I really wish were a bit larger and more game worthy. Other than the VW Microbus I have no use for foreign made automobiles.

When the Commune got started in earnest, I took it as my job to guard the place from undesirables, which was quite the challenge. Since people came and went so frequently that I needed a syllabus to keep track who lived there currently, I made it my practice just to bark at everyone, including Ray. That way if they weren’t supposed to be there, they would get the idea and skedaddle, and if they were supposed to be there, they might offer me a bribe to pass. Only Alice got a pass, because she always brought me scraps from her work, and besides, she let me sleep on the bed on three dog nights.

Now the humans spent a lot of time barking and howling themselves, usually while stroking boxes covered with tight strings that sounded a bit like two tom cats squaring off. The humans howled day and night and then would clap and slap each other’s backs as though the howling was especially well done. Then they would set fire to little sticks and suck on them until the whole place smelled like autumn leaf piles on fire. For some reason whenever they did that I would get so hungry, if I couldn’t beg a snack I would have to go chew up somebody’s shoes or a couch cushion to get satisfaction. Holy smokes I used to get empty bellied and light headed.

Then there was the time everyone was drinking cool aid and someone put their cup on the floor and I finished it off. I am not sure what happened, but the black and white swirls were something even Salvador Dali never painted I’m sure. Color? I’m a dog mind you. I only see in black and white. Which brings me to the 27 eight by ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back as evidence to be used against Arlo…what color? They looked just like all the other pictures I’ve seen... sepia, white and black.

You know the crime sniffing dogs in that story? Those are my cousins Ralph and Friday. They work with Officer Obee, but mostly chase cars same as I do when they aren’t deer or duck hunting. And the Seeing Eye dog of the judge is really so near sighted he needs a seeing eye cat to help him! Lord knows who is really leading that train around… a seeing eye mouse? A seeing eye roach?

I suppose you were expecting some calamitous morality tale about my struggle to overcome adversity and my triumph over evil or some such. Ha! I’m a dog. My life consists of sleeping, getting up and eating as fast as possible so I can catch an early nap before I go out and pee on trees. Just the same, If you drive a Buick, do come visit up here so I don’t have to hike all the way to Stockbridge. It would make my day.

In closing I know most of you think being a famous dog has its perks. Well you are wrong. I would trade all the fame in tomorrow to be a guard dog at a butcher shop.

Sincerely yours

Fasha (Foucho) the Dog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

:shock: Fasha, is that really you??? I haven't heard from you in so long, I thought you had actually and finally caught one of those Buicks...... :cry: Be a good boy, and stay in touch......I know you'll stay where you're needed, and not hang around with those crazy republican hounds at the butcher shop. Peace, your old friend Kevin (Remember me? I'm the guy who set the glass of Kool-aid on the floor :roll: )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Fasha
I hope you're not still chasing cars to get high on the exhaust. It is dangerous and could give you brain damage. I know, people look and say sarcastic like, " "brain damage from car exhaust?" Ya right.
But it's all fun and games until you get your head run over by the rear wheel.
I am a little oversensitive these days, and you popped up just at the right time, Not sure if you heard but, Qincy Jones PDI( stands for Polka dotted Idiot) passed away just the other day. I am having a really heard time dealing with this. I reach out everynight to put my arms around him and then remember he's not there anymore. Do you mind if I drop in every now and then just to chat?
Duke came over to call on him today, he hasn't been here in a while , well ever since Hap put in that invisable fence, but every time the battery on his collar ran low you could be sure he'd be here. Him and Q had an unusual bond for a couple of male dogs and their constant pissing matches. Quincy did the hunting of the groundhogs and Duke did the eating.
I miss whatching him from afar in the field back end up in the air, head down the hole and his tail would be going a mile a minute. I am always in other time zones most of the time between Canada, UK, let alone which side of the road to drive on. I never know if I am in Imperial measure or metric. Last time almost got hit crossing the road, looking the wrong way. Good thing I wasn't in London I'd be a goner. I was up in Yorkshire.
It's close to three now so...Go get yer tea, Arlo's been putting on a few pounds of late, so go take half his helping.
Missed ya bud. take care

just me sending hugz and kisses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:55 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

hey Fasha, how's it all hanging bud. Are ya bored?
Wanna come over and chase groundhog holes?
It is really hard these days with my Q gone and all but I know he is in good hands.
I haven't seen Duke over here the last few days, must have a new battery in his collar.
I think I will take a hike over and sit a spell. Hap was supposed to come an Get Quincy's house for you but it is still sitting there on the other side of the Barn.
Better bug him to get it soon. I hate it when they go away and leave you tied out back for the weekend My l'il brother's dog Hadees figured out to how to beat the system of the invisable fence he just chases one of the cats through it .
Not so dumb I guess, and he keeps busy chasing all nine cats.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Woof GalWayGirl501, That night back in the late 60's, the night at the church when that wanker left the "kool-aid" on the floor and, being a dog, I drank it......that was a very strange night indeed! I saw many strange things that night. One of the best things I saw was a glimpse of the place where we dogs go when we die. It was a wonderful place full of lots of great dogs and great people to play with. There were endless piles of steaks and bowls of ice cream to eat whenever we wanted to, lots of toilets to drink from, and lots of cats to chase. Quincy is there now, waiting for you and having a grand ol' time. He misses you lots, but now he understands how things work, and he knows that everything will be OK. Sounds like Hadees has got his work cut out for him with those moggies, nine cats @nine lives a piece.........that's 81 lives!!! He'll be busy chasing cats for quite sometime. Try not to be sad, I've seen alot of dogs and people come and go around here. Remember all the good and funny times you shared with Quincy, that will make everything better for both of you. Thanks for the letter and the dog house offer, your loyal friend, Fasha :D :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Awh Bless, thanks Fasha I know, your right he is in a good place it just hard and I have this huge hole in my heart that Quincy filled.
Ya know when he came to live with us he was only 5 months old and the most mischeivous dog I had ever come across. I was just starting chemo and had 2hrs to get home before I got so sick I couldn't get off the floor but he stayed at my side he was amazing he licked my tears away and when I went to sleep on the floor he would get some water in his mouth and drop it on my forehead to wake me and get me to bed. We rescued eachother really, he was in an aptment tied to a doorknob all day until the owners father put a stop to it and took him away from her.
He posted a FOR SALE on the board in the Hangar where I worked. The cost started @ $100, and by the end of the week it had dropped to $25.
needless to say I gave the family the $100. Funny that would have been 13 years ago next week.
Pete called, he is way up in the Arctic as usual, but I know it's hard for him to with all the Malmutes, and Huskies in the "Valley of the Dogs." in Iqualuit.
It is a revine where the community sled dogs are. They don't get alot of love just food thrown a them at different times a day. It's usually a summer thing because these boys work so hard pulling these sleds for the hunters. I know it is their way of life but I still think it is wrong. I just know enough to stay out of Inuit Affairs.
He's leaving Churchill Man. soon and flying to Inuvik.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

OOPs I think I yammered on a bit to much and run out of space, I'll close for now, Your'e the best Fash, your words have helped a lot.
BTW... that weird guy with the Kool Aid, he's the "BOMB" good bloke, so he is so don't be upset about drinking something you really shouldn't have. It was probably the best dream you ever had.
Missed ya Fash..... I will be back.
Love you forever, like you for always.
Just Me GG :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hey Fasha,
Yep, it's me again. Hope I am not taking you away from your dinner. It's still pretty lonely here without Quincy that's why I've just been staying in my room, this is such a big old farmhouse and it's just me here at least for another week anyway. Mat the Rat came by today to see how I was doing and has brought a huge boulder the put on Quincy's resting place. I thought I would etch a drawing of Q just like my lil Brother did for Loopy. We are the two artist in the family although I haven't picked up a brush or a pencil for a long time. I lost all my supplies when I went back to England. Although they are easily replaced, just didn't have the need of them til now. You know there are two sets of date we carve on a stone and everyone knows what they mean, but the most important of all is that little DASH there in between.
I am so happy you are part of my dash Fasha.
Take care I'll be talking to you again soon. Just me GG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Woof GG, This will be short as I'm not feeling my oats today. Must have been a bad bone I chewed on. Thanks for the letter......I think drawing Quincy would be a good idea. Write anytime, I'm always here for you......Fasha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hey Fasha ,
So sorry your not up to snuff, hope you will get over it soon. How many times have I told you not to eat everything people give you. I have a little story to tell you.. I was looking after a friends huge rottweiler named TIA she too has past, when Her and Quincy would go out and play I would give them strict instructions NOT to play with dead things, they did anyway we were calling them back and they didn't 'alf pong. Quincy was used to getting into the shower with me but we weren't entirely sure how Tia would re-act as I didn't quite know too much about that breed then, but there were no way she was coming into the house smelling of dead ground hogs or any thing else. So Mathew was brave enough to tackle the task of washing her down with the hose. When she was happy she would do this deep groan, it a term of endearment. Now as far as you and your "Dickie Tum" you had better get well soon. Hap will be out soon hunting deer (as long as it is not on my property) and you will be getting the lions share of what is left over. This morning there were two of them at the edge of the property eating the apples off the tree. They are so beautiful and gentle I really don't know how anyone could shoot one. So here's hoping you are on the mend soon and watch what you eat from now on. I went to the store today and I automatically grabbed a bag of carrots for him, then realizing what I had done , I fell apart but I got to my car first, don't want people thinking I can't keep it together. Although there is enough of Q's hair on the back seat of the car , I could probably make a whole new dog. He used to sidle right up against the drivers door and have his head sticking out the window until one day he happened to stand on the button for the window and almost got his nose trapped. Silly great mare he was.
love ya Fasha
back at ya later.
Just me GG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

WOOF!!! (Cough,Sneeze) WOOF!!! :D :D :D ....(Swooshing sound of tail wagging)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Aye Fasha ,
you are such a great comfort to me now that Q is gone. I hope your feeling better. I was getting worried about you. Hoping you didn't have what I had. It was pretty awful.
Now I just don't know what to do with myself. I went over and spent some time with Duke took some photos and gave him a bloody good brushing, he had clumps of fur on his side and he is very thin. he is lovely now.
When I get my laptop working again or just go and buy a new on I will show you the pics. It was Arlo's idea. He wrote to me told me to keep my chin up, take things one day at a time and go and take pic's . So I did.
Not that my photos could ever be as good as his , but when I go back to the U.K , then off to Africa I will take loads of pictures.
Although the hardship I see in Sierra Leon is really nothing to brag about. Okay Fasha I think I'll sign out now I am very sad today. So do me a favor and keep your nose clean and only eat what you can handle bud.
Like you for always
gg