Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » All In The Family

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

For anyone who might not take the uke seriously as an orchestral instrument, here is the Ukelele Orchestra in Great Britain performing "Shaft" by Issac Hayes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfK-UzQ48JE

Can ya dig it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

George Harrison's son Dhani said that the uke was George's favorite instrument. He said that whenever his dad travelled, he always carried two ukes......so he always had one for someone else to play along with him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Ukes are so cool...they're very portable, easy to play, you can do a lot musically with them. You don't have to spend a lot of money on them to get something pretty decent-sounding. Easy on the fingertips, too! And, like potato chips or peanuts, ya can't just have one! They come in different sizes, and it's fun to try 'em all!

For you guitar players a baritone uke is tuned DGBE, just like the 4 highest strings on guitar...you do modified guitar chords (you don't have the 2 lower E and A strings to fret) to play them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:55 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Thats a nice video Len , thanks for sharing that . I like the ukelele and they are affordable for everyone . Thanks Sue for the info . Great to hear that they are easy to play on . Someday i am gonna get me one and give it a try . :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the info. They sound like something I might be interested in learning to play. I wonder if they can be used in bluegrass jams? I suspect not but if they could be used in bluegrass jams that would give me more incentive to take up learning to play one & getting one I guess...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

I've some friends who are crazy about them. Being a bit overhanded, they frustrate me a little and as the arthritis creeps on, more because I can't bend my fingers tightly enough to get good tone. That said, they are an excellent songwriting axe because it's easy to get around progressions that are tougher on the guitar. They can be used in ANY jams. In bluegrass you may want to coordinate with the mandolin.

Sometimes people put them in my hand anyway. :wink:
Attachment:
lenanduke.png
lenanduke.png [ 198.83 KiB | Viewed 8186 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the inf. If I can find one cheap I'll have to try learning how to play it...