Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 am

Arlo Fanatic

IMHO, we remain screwed in this regard until two things happen:

1. The aforementioned public-only funding of campaigns

2. An end to the legal status of corporations as persons

Corporations' personhood was a mistake; it wasn't even a real court decision, but it's now entrenched as legal precendent, and it hurts all of us, all of the time, most recently in last week's Supremes ruling on campaign contributions:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2469/how-can-a-corporation-be-legally-considered-a-person

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi, Shelley. I may be wrong (may?) but I thought that the formation of the corporation as an individual in its own right was for tax purposes, and legal protection of the principles of the corporation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Aye, Terrie, but perhaps some may start to listen.

Ceashel, I am complete agreement with you on the corporation as individual. All other things aside a corporation as an entity should not have an "individual" right. Companies are made up of individuals, but they themselves should not be considered as an individual. I know it is not a simple as that since, as Terrie points out, there are other factors that are included in the whole thing. Change is possible - it's just figuring out how to effectively bring about that change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose." ...old French saying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Ceashel's resource is right, Terrie. This has come up in other forums in the last year prior to that ruling. The Santa Clara clerk did do that.

However, corporate campaign contributions had been reasonably restricted by later rulings and the Filthy Five overturned them all. These are the same judges that gave Bush the election in 2000. It is a clear example of party loyalty and class warfare over neutrality and judicial restraint. Two things need to happen right quickly:

1. Pass the Fair Elections Act.
2. One or more of the five need to retire.

Public humiliation is one tactic, but otherwise, see item 1.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Captain Zap wrote:
"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose." ...old French saying

frustrates me to no end...

but you say it in french!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Off topic, but I always wanted to learn French just so I could speak it with a south Texas drawl. Como talle vous, there, mon ami. (Probably misspelt something in there) Chamois. electronique, broulet, or - dare I say it - vicious swahhhhh. The only cold soup I would enjoy would be melted ice cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

I took French in high school but didn't do very well. All I remember is Hello, How are you, Thank You, How to summon a waiter, and how to ask someone to go to bed with you (The line from the Patti Labelle song lol)...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

So Obama took the public humiliation tactic seriously. The Supremes were squirming in their seats.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Deservedly so!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:31 am

Arlo Fanatic

len wrote:
So Obama took the public humiliation tactic seriously. The Supremes were squirming in their seats.

Damn! Was Diana Ross there too?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:40 am

Arlo Fanatic

Dressed as Whoopi Goldberg.

The harshness of the coming year will be the far left true believers in Obama who finally realize that the cuts in Federal spending will be in their favorite programs while the ones they do not support or actively despise will receive greater funding. They will blame the usual suspects and they will be right but they will also be part of the problem. It is rare to find those who can simultaneously be sanguine as they stare into the horror of the scene unfolding.

Change we can believe in is not always change we like.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Another "inconvenient truth".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Well said Len.

I found it interesting that Mr. Obama, while addressing the Republicans, placed himself on "the other side" instead of in the middle trying to bring both sides together. Seemed like an us vs them slip when he was emphasizing less partisanship.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:18 am

Arlo Fanatic

len wrote:
The harshness of the coming year will be the far left true believers in Obama who finally realize that the cuts in Federal spending will be in their favorite programs while the ones they do not support or actively despise will receive greater funding. They will blame the usual suspects and they will be right but they will also be part of the problem. It is rare to find those who can simultaneously be sanguine as they stare into the horror of the scene unfolding.

pardon my ignorance (i'm not proud!) i am trying to understand what this is saying...what are you saying would be "THEIR (however they may be comprised) favorite programs" and what are the ones THEY "actively despise"? i suppose if i know what those are? i may be able to figure out "the problem" THEY (however they may be comprised) will also be a part of...?

sorry!