Forums » Group W Forums » Controverial Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:21 am

Arlo Fanatic

This a different interesting perspective of our time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCKQ1KfcyFg

1Tin Soldier Rides Away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't completely agree with Ron Paul here. If we own GM we can make sure we build the Electric car we can plug into our Solar Powered Roofs.

Government Motors: Obama’s Engine of Wealth Destruction

By tmartin • June 8, 2009

In his latest column, Ron Paul criticizes the government’s takeover of General Motors. Instead of being propped up and managed by inefficient central planners at taxpayer expense, GM should have been allowed to fail naturally, letting the free market reallocate the company’s resources and assets to their most productive and profitable use. — tmartin

Download the column as an MP3 file here (3:37 minutes).

GM, Amtrak and an Increasingly Fascist America

by Ron Paul

Last week, General Motors finally declared bankruptcy. Many in government thought $20 billion in taxpayer dollars would save the company, but as predicted, it only postponed the inevitable. The government will dump another $30 billion into GM and take a 60 percent controlling interest for it. Public officials are now involving themselves in tactical business decisions such as where GM’s headquarters should move and what kind of cars it will build.

The promise that this is temporary and will eventually be profitable is supposed to ease the American people into accepting this arrangement, but it is of little comfort to those who remember similar promises when the American taxpayers bought Amtrak. After three years, government was supposed to be out of the passenger rail business. 40 years and billions of dollars later, the government is still operating Amtrak at a loss, despite the fact that they have created a monopoly by making it illegal to compete with Amtrak. Imagine what they can now do to what is left of the great American auto industry!

In a truly free market, GM would get your money one way and one way only – by selling you a car you want, at a price you are willing to pay. Instead, the government is giving public money to a private company in spite of the market signals it has been sending. Throwing money at GM does not stop it from being an engine of wealth destruction; on the contrary, it simply gives it more wealth to destroy.

Had it been allowed to fail naturally, the profitable pieces of GM would have been bought up and put to good use by now. The laid off employees would likely have found new jobs and all that capital would be in private hands, reinvested in companies that produce products demanded by consumers. Instead, we are all poorer now.

Political pressure, rather than the rule of law, is deciding how to divide up the remains of GM. The bondholders had billions in retirement savings invested in the company, and though they were entitled to nearly three times as much as the United Auto Workers, the bondholders were left with just a 10 percent stake compared to the union’s 17.5 percent stake. For their 60 percent stake, taxpayers have a future of constant bailouts to look forward to.

Comingling public control of private business is known as fascism. While today’s politicians may feel emboldened with all their new power, history will only repeat itself as all this collapses on itself. It is the height of hubris for bureaucrats and politicians to attempt to control the market and the free will of the American people. In the end, the market always wins out. Maybe one day future generations will wise up and allow free markets to function and thrive without the albatross of government around its neck. For now, it looks like those in charge have not learned the lessons of the past, and have doomed us to repeat those mistakes once again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Mike always loved that song. he was so happy when a few yrs back he found the album of it in an oldies record store...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

Here is a different version of a song which came out when the Police song "ever step you take" came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qecXBpKfB7w

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:26 am

Arlo Fanatic

(There is a great video which goes along with with this kool blog from Willie Nelson's Peace Research Institute. Maybe I will go back and post the link in a minute. If I did it will be on the bottom.)

Story of Stuff

June 22nd, 2009 Jay Posted in Appropriate Technology, Environment, Health, Human Rights, Peace | No Comments »

Annie Leonard narrates this brief explanation of Materials Economics which is something different from the Raw Materials Economics we discussed in previous articles about family farms. The film has become an Internet phenomenon, generating over 6.5 million views in 200 countries and territories since its launch in December 2007.

She discusses how corporations, which now comprise over half of the 100 largest economies in the world, have manipulated governments to run things for their profit and benefit rather than ours. Annie Leonard seems to make the case for a separation of corporations and government similar to the arguments for the separation of religion and government hundreds of years ago.

Her story begins with resource extraction that is exploitative and exhaustive of nonrenewable resources. At this first stage a shift to widespread commercial hemp production would resolve many of these issues.

Current manufacturing process involves adding toxic chemicals to natural resources and pollute the environment. Many of these toxic chemicals are derived from petroleum or are simply byproducts of another toxic industrial process.

Distribution to retail consumers currently under prices the finished goods, not returning enough value to the producers and workers to keep them out of debt. This is why even the contemporary financial system is not sustainable as illustrated by the current financial crisis.

If we put parity pricing of raw materials into practice as recommended by Raw Materials Economics and shifted to commercial hemp production sustainable in localized economies many of these problems would not even exist.

Annie Leonard goes on to tell us that 99% of everything we buy becomes trash within 6 months. Just dealing with the garbage, land fills and incinerators required to take our trash out of sight greatly contributes to our current mess.

She tells us that sustainability, equity, green chemistry, zero waste, closed loop production, renewable energy and local living economies are needed to reform our lifestyle. It would also reduce out need to wage wars over resources and the forcing of other people to into our wasteful toxic system under the guise of bringing them democracy.

Historically, the ‘old way’ she talks about is actually pretty new. The actual old way embraced many of the reforms mentioned because it made sense and enabled 10,000 years of human social evolution.

The contemporary way is relatively new, unsustainable and will lead to the total collapse of civilization if left to continue to its own exhaustion. The sooner we change, and I mean substantial meaningful change not just the holding on to the empty promise of change by career politicians in the pay of corporations, the better.

(Oh Ya that only took a minute. Worth watching.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

hey this Author has some good ideas for how to end the wars. Stop the founding in the House for starters.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/How-to ... 7-187.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

This Naomi Wolf is one Lady Troubadour that the masses had best start listening too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qinPxSOBB5o

For the powers that be are making me sick with watered down bills written by the Lobby Powers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i am sorry...sometimes i have trouble finding the words...these seem like some good ones put in pretty good order?

PSBeaty wrote:
you say you want a revolution well you know
we all want to change the world

Is the capitalism today the same capitalism as yesterday?
Can unions become relevant again?
Is the globalization of low wages good or bad?
How does globalization of low wages effect:

1. America, the middles class, the lower class and the ghetto?
2. How does it effect net value of savings and wages?
3. Will it polarize or unify our society?
4. Is it really fair to the mill workers and tennis shoe makers earning a fraction of America's minimum wage around the world?
5. Is the health care industry designed to insure you dissipate any wealth you may have accrued during your lifetime?
6. Do rich people deserve better heath care than poor people?
7. What about insurance, can you trust those guys?

Oh, the list goes on and on and I grow weary?

PSBeaty wrote:
Imagine a world where the people of the world collectively owned and managed the wealth, potential and resources associated with human endeavor? But, damn it, you always need a management system uncorrupt by petty ambition in place for that? So, there is no unification of effort, just fragmentation and the selfish pursuit of the indivdual (or conglomerate) and a stumbling bumbling progression into (finger pointing forward in a dramatic fashion) THE FUTURE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:05 am

PSB is right on the money with all that especially the last paragraph you quote. The answer, while perfectly true, is a controversy itself and cannot (and should not) be offered as it is narrow and exclusive. But it is the truth.

I apologize - I'm still worked up after the last post I made. Excuse me while I kiss this guy (It's what Hendrix REALLY sang ya know) (NOT) Think I'll have a root beer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

This Eileen Fleeming is up to much good. She has been to Palestine 7 times since 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ESggzmbiQE

She ain't the "kind" that piss me off so much that I hate "them" as much as I dislike what Zionist are doing.

She is so full of Love. she keeps blowing my mind time after time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcTNybx5p4

She calls herself a Christian anarchist of the Beatitudes like Doris Day and Tolstoy was.

I have been reading this Lady Trubadour for 2 years now on OEN. She does not have an ounce of hatred in her towards anyone.

#3 (with another one to come.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwk4LTw_CQ

She is so full of love for all Mankind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd6Ua5oAZSs

"Only in Solidarity do we have it in our power to start the World over again" -Tom Paine

Last edited by leoburg on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Dr. Margarete Flowers took Obama up on his SOTU words where he asked if there is anyone out there who has a better solution let me know.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/02052010/watch3.html

Here on Moyer's Journal she tells about how she got arrested and what led her to this fight, after Insurance Companies got in the way of her practicing Medicine.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/There- ... 7-703.html

This Lady is going to be another New Hero of Mine.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Does-P ... 1-800.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 am

BlunderVirgin

corporate lies are well documented before the supreme court in first corporate personhood case 1886, santa clara cty v. SP RR as told in my original folk song, "we the people, solemnly." please share with everyone you know, especially Arlo since it is a railroad song. link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohlj4OpVgeM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hope of its children…"

-President Dwight David Eisenhower

:mrgreen: :oops: :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

BlunderVirgin

Various ancient Greek cities occasionally had laws against poetry, drama, and music. Because of its power to affect people's emotions and attitudes, and by extension opinions, they felt it was dangerous and labeled it black magic, witchcraft, whatever the ancient Greek word for bad juju is. I don't suppose they were far from the mark. A really good protest song or otherwise political piece of music will at the very least cause me to reevaluate my hard-won moderate-ness.

Last edited by waitandsee on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

From my SpaceBook Friend Dorothy Lemus: -~"

May i suggest for the new year avoiding all tittles such as liberals, rep, demo, progressives, races, color, educational idiots,etc. and come to a realistic confederation of humanistic individuals understanding and taking over this country and changing it to a better, healthier, educated, spiritual, hard working, united place to breath in. love and light."

And lets find all of the Harry Bridges that we can as Arlo sings about in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBzT3XZfeg

Well, that is if we ever want to Restore Our Middle Class.

:mrgreen:

:oops:
:P