Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: show in Ann Arbor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 am

BlunderVirgin

Hi, just got back from the show in Ann Arbor, and it was very good, the guys had to work out a few wrinkles after the layoff, which made for some interesting moments.I am not good at remembering set lists, but Arlo started on piano.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 am

ArloNetizen

And he plays again tomorrow too. Monday night was an awesome show, and quite different than the ones I attended before. Arlo had a band, with guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, and three backup singers (Burns Sisters). I think Arlo's son, Abe, played keyboards. There were three tapers (including me). I'm intrigued to hear their versions (if they decide to circulate them) and depending on how mine sounds, I may distribute it on the Trading Forum. I'm posting on my Facebook page about twelve photos I took of Arlo during this first of two shows. The photos should be available to all Facebook users. One of the photos is attached.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 692640834e

Attachments:
AG2010-10-18 12.JPG
AG2010-10-18 12.JPG [ 18.65 KiB | Viewed 12129 times ]
 Post subject: Re: show in Ann Arbor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

Nice photo. Were you sitting close to the stage?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:32 am

ArloNetizen

If you've never been to The Ark in Ann Arbor, you'd be surprised what an intimate setting it is, Cheryl. Nearly every seat is close (and for those sitting to the far right near the drummer Monday night, maybe too close). And the audiences are always very cool and respectful of the artists and to each other. It's my fave venue in the Midwest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:47 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I was at the show last night as well. 2 rows from the back wall, directly in front of Arlo, and was still only 20 rows from the stage. Perfect for me as I have some hearing damage from sitting too close to the stage at a Jethro Tull concert as a foolish youth.....

The small wrinkles I saw in the music,I thought, brought a wonderful sense of belonging. The Ark is so great as you have said, and starting a song in the wrong key, then stopping, only made more for a brief but intimate moment while they worked it out.

Afterwards at a small gathering in back, we were talking about the Ark, and they told me it was the smallest venue they played. That some stages are so far from the audience. At the Ark, you can see the folks faces rows back. In all, for me, a perfert show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh do I wish that Arlo was going to be at the Church for Turkey Day, for have a ride (Care of FaceBook) going out of her way to pick me and a Lady Friend Flying in over the Pole from Belgium.

:roll: :lol: :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:34 am

ArloNetizen

I went also to tonight's (Tuesday) not sold out (!!) performance. The two sets were about the same length (Monday night had a 70 minute set followed by a 40 minute set after intermission). It was odd that the same two tapers from Monday night were in the same reserved seats tonight, with their respective gear set up side by side to tape the show, and then the Ark announced that there would be no taping allowed at this second show. The band seemed to rock more tonight, rather than being in the background much of the time as on Monday night. The backup singers (Burns Sisters) also had more presence.

The setlist varied just a little bit, and the stories between songs were almost identical (e.g., the Hoyt Axton story, the story about Arlo's wife being arrested at an airport, the child Arlo attending a new school and being the only one in his class who didn't know the lyrics to one of his father's songs). I guess to expect that Arlo would generate entirely new stories for each and every concert in the tour would be unrealistic. Arlo also wore what seemed to be the same shirt, vest, and jeans. At the show's end, the band walked off the stage, I got up immediately to beat the rush to the restroom, and I saw Arlo, with his jacket already on, trying to exit the back door of the venue. A man's voice said, "Arlo," and Arlo stopped, but as I turned the corner to go into the bathroom I didn't see what happened next. Later, after we got to our car, we decided to be lurkers for a few seconds, so we drove down Ashley (the street behind The Ark) and saw Arlo's HUGE tour bus.

At the show, I had my camera but decided to take no single shots of Arlo (I might have if he had worn something else), and instead tried to do some group shots so that people in this forum could see the other members of the band. In the one photo in which Arlo is not visible, he is at the piano and was not easily seen. The photos also demonstrate how close to the stage the first audience row is at The Ark. (The photos aren't as swell as the ones I took of Arlo Monday. The stage lighting gave me fits, and adjusting the exposure to reveal the band members made Arlo look like a while blur.)

All in all, it was a great time both nights. Arlo is a national treasure.

Attachments:
vlcsnap-36790.JPG
vlcsnap-36790.JPG [ 29.3 KiB | Viewed 12072 times ]
vlcsnap-51998.JPG
vlcsnap-51998.JPG [ 23.86 KiB | Viewed 12072 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh, I was with you at all of those Shows in My Spirit. Alro is Singing Full Blast Right here in this New Cool Pad since Family Home is Rented out with option. Cool 2rd Floor Deck in back which has steps right down to the Bike Trail from here, air oh Ayer, which is an 11 miles to Nashua Cow Hampshe.

:mrgreen: :twisted: :evil:

Oh Arlo in this Someday Drawing was surely being told something from who ever it was he wanted help from... Oh well the bmp is not allowed.
All of U Blunderers have all seen it before anyways. Sure Glad that it posts in other places that need to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm

BlunderVirgin

thanks for the report for tue, nites show. my daughter said they would have it together more at tue. show, but i enjoyed watching the band work it out right on stage, as we all chuckled. great fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't think I've heard the story about Jackie getting arrested(?) at an airport!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 pm

BlunderVirgin

Thanks to Maria for posting the photos from Monday night's show. My son and I were there, sitting in the first row in front of the stage, just to Arlo's right side. The show was fantastic. I had not been at the Ark before and I was amazed at how close the seats are to the stage. I took some photos with my little Kodak digital camera but the lighting made it difficult- I wish I had taken my digital SLR but I had thought pictures would not be allowed. It was a great night and many thanks to Arlo and the band for spreading joy to all in attendance. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the pics and show report. Nice pics. Too bad they didn't allow taping the 2nd night...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hi Sue,
Actually an intro to "Coming Into Los Angeles", he tells a story of Jackie getting her bags, marked 'Arlo Guthrie', searched by someone who thought who would be stupid eough to impersonate Arlo Guthrie ?!!
Pretty funny stuff, no arrests were made tho, as he got her off by posing for photographs with the guy who opened the bags, and everyone else there, as by then she had made freinds with them all :D
........got everyone in the mood for the song!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
Did Arlo give up the meets and greets forever?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:00 pm

ArloNetizen

>>>Too bad they didn't allow taping the 2nd night...

Yeah, I was puzzled, particularly since the two guys a couple rows back in the reserved seating did not take their mike stands down. So that made me think they got permission to tape but someone (Arlo, The Ark) wanted to quash unauthorized taping. I guess I should have approached the two guys - both familiar faces - and asked what the story is. I have not seen their recordings show up in the usual sites, but as far as I know, neither turn their tapes over very fast (unlike, say, the legendary z-man). Although, on Monday, I met after the show a couple of people who each owned cameras that capture video, and the cameras had 16+ gig memory chips. And I'm not sure if this was one of their captures (I think they were both sitting closer than this taper), so there may have been a third taper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnobgqMFIjI

I certainly understand an artist's attempt to try to control their product, but wow, with technology being as portable as it is, it becomes almost futile.

I would be pleased and intrigued if Arlo would weigh in and let us (or me) know if one or both of the Ark shows are cool to distribute here, assuming tapes of either or both shows appear (and I bet they will); I would certainly respect his wishes.