Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: THANKSGIVING 2010
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:45 am

The Folkslinger

It's getting to be that time of year again. Thanksgiving! For whatever crazy reason the holiday and I are glued together. It's one of those unintentional accidents of nature. But, if you had to get stuck to a holiday, it could be worse than Thanksgiving. For that reason alone I'm pretty thankful.

We're out on the road with the band and having a fabulous time. I love playing some of these songs I can't do when it's just me solo. Some of the songs just beg for the full band we had when we recorded them. I'm doing the annual gig at Carnegie Hall with the University of Kentucky Symphony Orchestra. You don't a bigger band than that! And Abe and Sarah Lee will, for the first time, join me with the orchestra making it truly a family affair. I love working with the family especially at Carnegie where generations of families have come back every year. It's a time to rekindle the spirit and to share the visions and dreams moving through the families and friends for whom it has become a tradition.

Usually our family has stayed close to home for the Thanksgiving holiday. We've made our way over to the church (The Guthrie Center at The Old Trinity Church) for the annual free Thanksgiving Dinner That Couldn't Be Beat. This year they'll have to feast without us. Something has come up and we won't be able to join the local crowd. I'm not at liberty to divulge anything but there's not many things that would keep us away at that time - this is one.

There's so much exciting news and we're continuing to forge ahead with long held plans and dreams of our own. I will hopefully begin the new year by bringing you all up to date with details I can't go into until then. I've learned not to count those birds in your hand until they're actually in your hand, never mind the ones in the bushes. So much for explanations.

In the meanwhile, I do wish everyone reading this a thankful heart and a spirit of gratitude. There is nothing that shakes the world more than someone who understands how powerful it is to be thankful for being yourself. First of all, it means that no one else has to be you - that's almost good enough! As I accept myself, with all my faults and craziness, I naturally have to accept other people too for who they are. And there are some really crazy people out there! I love 'em. And I love that they are willing to be themselves. It keeps the rest of us more or less… well, us!

Thankfully,
adg

Post subject: Re: THANKSGIVING 2010
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, and I hope all your "secret" endeavors come to fruition. Even if that means all the Guthries will be going to live on a space station for a few years as part of a PBS reality musical remake of "Lost in Space"...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:10 pm

BlunderVirgin

Hey, Arlo!

I am certainly one of those "crazy" people. I have been unwavering myself since first I entered this human form. It means sometimes taking the long way round and sometimes making other folks uncomfortable with one's individuality, but it also means confidence in one self and inner contentment.

Your music has been the soundtrack of my life since a very young age. Without you and Pete, and a bit of James Taylor, things just don't seem quite as joyful!

I am wishing you and yours the best, always. May your secret and sacred endeavors all be as fulfilling and successful as can be!

-Vera

PS. I am living in Canada now and missing Massachusetts like crazy, thanks for some fun and poetic songs that remind me of home!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Well that's a right cheesy tease. This is like waiting for the next season of Top Gear. And they're not coming back to Alabama either. :wink:

I traded a bird for two hands in the bush. It wasn't worth it. They returned the bird. :cry:

So they invited you to the White House to explain how to stay out of war. Get one of the fancy Air Force One jackets.

Last edited by len on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm

ArloNetizen

I sincerely hope that all your news will be of the happy variety. Maybe next year you will be able to make the Thanksgiving dinner at the church. Happy Thanksgiving (albeit a bit early) and we Blunderites who have had either difficult or wonderful years should give thanks for what we do have in our lives. Those of us who march to the beat of our own drums often take the more difficult paths in living our lives. It's always worth it when I look back, and I am sure that it's the same for many of us.
Thanks for another year of making people happy through music, Arlo. Wish you the very best to you and your family.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:08 pm

ArloNetizen

Warm and positive wishes to you, the entire Guthrie clan, & all the crazy, fun, diverse members of the extended clan.
Perhaps we should have a little contest to guess what the Guthries will be doing for Thanksgiving. My guess is dining with the Obamas. Arlo could wear that neat get-up he wore to dinner while sailing to Europe. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It's not an Alice's Restaurant theme park, is it? The "Garbage Cliff Flume Ride"; "Officer Obie's Cop Car Ride of Doom" and "The Whitehall Street Temple of Terror" (where you get .... well, you know that one!). And where every day is a Thanksgiving dinner that can't be beat! Hope I didn't give anything away. Happy Thanksgiving and a Happy Halloween, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Happy Thankgiving back atcha Arlo, and to the family. Thanksgiving is also my favorite time of year, AND I love surprises, so your message was double wonderful to read. I don't see your schedule bringing you down my way this year, so a road trip may be in order. Can't complain though......you've passed through this way for my birthday the past three years. Lots to give thanks for, as you said. Always! Fun, safe and interesting travels to you.......

Peace, Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

There's nothing in life more important than family. Thank you for another great year. Will see your show up in Manchester, NH on the 14th. From my family to yours Happy early Thanksgiving to you and your family... and thanks for being Arlo..
Peace,
-Eric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:56 am

Arlo Fanatic

Captain Zap wrote:
It's not an Alice's Restaurant theme park, is it? .

I've noticed with some degree of accuracy, that, life itself ,IS an Alice's Restaurant theme park! I mean dude, just look around! :D

And here's hoping that the stealthy stuff our favorite folkslinger is up to is happy and healthy stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 pm

BlunderVirgin

ADG:

Happy Thanksgiving, tho art Arlo and thou art Thanksgiving **
both are a work of art~~ despite the loss of your presence
we will all gobble till we wobble **

You will miss some great applesauce! See ya next year ** :lol:

Peace , love and applesauce **
Andrea Jackson
d.b.a. applesauce :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:

I've noticed with some degree of accuracy, that, life itself ,IS an Alice's Restaurant theme park! I mean dude, just look around! :D

And here's hoping that the stealthy stuff our favorite folkslinger is up to is happy and healthy stuff!

Aye, to that, Larry. Or, at the very least, fun. By the way, as a friend of mine likes to say, "I'm 'pre-dude'. I'm 'man', man!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

AND........it's all "cool" (these days, still), but I would really like to hear about more stuff that is really "groovy." Arlo used to use that word alot. Amazingly enough, "groovy" made the dictionary at some point, defined as "excellent" or "hip". "Hip," interestingly, is defined as (in this sense) "keenly aware of or interested in the newest developments or styles." That definition doesn't sound all that "hip" to me :? Ya know, in a groovy kinda way. :roll: :wink: :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

I dunno. I still hate it when Officer Obie shows up...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

Hey, Happy Thanksgiving in advance. Have fun at the shows and whatever you are doing that's not at the church. You have my curiosity up now. Bet it's dinner with the Obamas. If so tell him I said to straighten up and fly right lol. Looking forward to your new projects. Sat I go with my folks to Nags Head for 2 weeks. Should be fun! Wish Mike were here to go with us. Don't get arrest for litterin now lol. Love ya! :)