Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:49 pm

BlunderVirgin

I was at the House of Blues in Dallas with my fiancee to see Arlo, and he put on a great show!

We don't get to see him very often here in Texas, and the last time I was able to see him was fifteen years ago at Poor David's Pub. That show was just Abe and Arlo; this show he had background vocalists and a bigger backing band. I think I liked the stripped-down sound better- it accentuated his vocals more- but some songs like "Wake Up Dead" do have a much bigger impact with the extra instruments. I enjoyed the blend of new songs with some old favorites, and most of all I like the stories he tells in between.

I was a little disappointed in my fellow concert-goers. They kept shouting "Alice! Alice!" and it got a little old. I think there were a few the bartender should have cut off a little sooner.

My only complaint, and it's a tiny one: I wish he had more shirts to choose from. :)

I work with Alzheimer's patients in a nursing home, and it's easy to start feeling down when you're surrounded with so much suffering on a daily basis. This concert lifted me up and made me feel good again, and that's going to ripple through all of the people I care for when I go back to work tomorrow. Arlo really is changing the world for the better, one song at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:32 pm

BlunderVirgin

I saw the show in Houston the night before and was DELIGHTED! Sure pure acoustic is great, and I'd love to see him that way, but I was quite impressed with the band. Very tight. Spot on in fact. The Burns Sisters were amazing, I thought. (I've already racked up a nice little iTunes bill since Friday night thanks to them).

Arlo dealt with a couple of folks in Houston who were shouting for "Alice" and "Motorcycle" really well. "Thanks for the suggestions, but there are a lot of songs to sing" or something to that effect.

Did he close with "My Peace" in Dallas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:54 pm

BlunderVirgin

Yes- same closing song. :D

I was impressed by the Burn's singers as well. Their harmonies were very tight, and they were great not only as the opening act but also as his backup.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

i agree. i saw them in Kent Ohio and the Burns sisters were amazing and Arlo and all of the musicians were excellent. it was one of the best shows of the past 3 I've seen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:53 am

BlunderVirgin

We were talking about it last night and agreed it was one of the best shows we've EVER seen...and we've seen a lot of folks...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site folks! The Burns sisters do great backing him up. We'll take him anyway we can get him. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 pm

BlunderVirgin

Before the concert started they were playing some great old John Prine songs. I'm curious: was that the venue's decision, or Arlo's?