Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Solo Trek Notes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 am

The Folkslinger

It's been about two weeks since we got back from Germany and we've been following the heat wave across the midwest - sorta just hanging out in the middle of it as best as possible. Finally it seems to be diminishing somewhat as we get some work done in Lexington, KY

I returned from Europe and immediately went to Madison, WI to do a fund-raiser for all the union guys at one of our favorite little theaters - The Barrymore. We walked around the streets the following days and sand a few songs with the crowds gathered at the capitol building, before heading up to Bayfield, WI for a gig at Big Top Chautauqua - always a pleasure to be there. But the heat was unreal until evening when a thunder storm rolled though just in time to cool off the tent.

At some point I realized the heat wave was following me around - I was taking it personally. So we went to Minneapolis at played the Guthrie Theater. Beautiful new theater…

Then we followed the heat as it crawled eastward to Indianapolis, IN where we played outdoors at Conner Prairie with the Indianapolis Symphony and the boys in "Time For Three." They were a lot of fun to share a gig as well as share the bugs that were flying around the stage. The bugs we fairly squishy and tasted great - not a meal but more of a snack. We did two nights there. There were far fewer bugs the second day - which goes to show you how much we ate the first night.

One more gig coming up in Cleveland's Cain Park - before heading home to the farm where I get to chill for a while and enjoy the mountains of Berkshire County. Meanwhile, I'm here in Lexington working on new material with my friend and musical director, John Nardolillo and my partner in musical crime (arranger of our orchestra music), Jamie Burton (who just flew in from London)

It's still hot, but it's getting tolerable… I need a pool and a few rainy days. But, I'm sending my rain thoughts to Texas & Oklahoma where they need it more than I do. Hopefully someone is listening….

adg

Post subject: Re: Solo Trek Notes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 am

Arlo Fanatic

Hope you're enjoying yourself down in thoroughbred horse country. Did you know that there's a racehorse named Arlo running at tracks around Philly and New Jersey?

Anyway, what's the chance that you'll be getting together with John Nardolillo and the UK orchestra for "In Times Like These II'? Love those arrangements on the first one.

mikey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

Safe and happy travels Arlo. If anyone or anything is listening, Texas and Oklahoma can have as much of the rain that we're getting here in North Florida as they want :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:54 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Hey G..see you in Cleve. i hope the weather cooperates. it is supposed to be hot and stormy... i got pavilion seats just in case.

i read this as Star Trek Notes! HA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That new material with the arrangers thing is good news. Looking forward!

sad about dan peek tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Are the three of you writing an opera as part of the Woody centennial?

Any thoughts on Raquel Nelson's case? (http://www.grist.org/transportation/201 ... entenc-is-) Talk about government excess. If they go forward with a second prosecution, maybe a group of us can go down there and start singing, "As I went walking that ribbon of highway..." in the street outside the courthouse. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Here, we don't have the heat wave they forecasted. It’s a little crazy, July is in May and October in July!!
So, I think that currently, the best way to have few rainy days would be to go back to Paris! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 am

Arlo Fanatic

Be careful what you say after eating those bugs. Nano Technology has surpassed the days when it took something as large as a pickle to hold a steatlh microphone.The FBI does like to update files from time to time, and after spending time with real people with real problems in Madison.....well, you may be back on their radar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It'd be a big allocation of resources for them these days..........lots of Guthries to have to keep up with, all over the place 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Which is why they switched to the nano-technology bug bugs. Well, that and it's hard to get a Guthrie to want a pickle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Can't really blame 'em for being extra cautious when it comes to pickles. Or of those guys smellin' airplane seats from a thousand miles away.........

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:58 am

BlunderVirgin

My former teacher got a video of you talking about Joseph and making change from the Conner Prairie show. She took me to see you for my first time.

This is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QART5TO ... ideo_title

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds like you've got a great teacher, to take you too see Arlo. Here's a link to a better version of the story:

http://youtu.be/cLvAVF4iwOA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:22 am

BlunderVirgin

Yeah, he probably would have done a longer, better version had he more time since the ISO had to be off stage by 10:15 that night and it not have been the last song he played.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:18 am

BlunderVirgin

I really love the way Arlo relates a tale! So much heart he puts into it, amazing. Arlo can take me from laughing until my belly aches to crying with his wonderful songs.