Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 pm

ArloNetizen

As soon as I saw that Arlo was coming to Arizona I let my business partner know why I was planning to take time off during our busiest time of the year. She decided it was a good idea (especially since I haven't let it go that I missed the Guthrie Family Rides Again appearance at the Flagstaff Orpheum a couple of years ago) and we're making it a company field trip! It is so good to have something fun to look forward to.

Kept an eye on the Coconino Center for the Arts web site and snagged our four tickets. Have never been to an Arlo concert and never been to that venue. So the questions are: Who is the special guest listed on the venue's web site or is it a surprise and I should just let it be? And, given that this looks like a spiffier venue than the more rustic Orpheum, are we going to have to dress up? Flagstaff is a boots and jeans kind of place. I do have my annual new pair of jeans that will still look decent in April but that is as dressed up as I usually get. Or, am I being vain and should just let it be?

Cheers y'all

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I dunno. Most of the Arlo gigs I've been to over the years look like seas of tie-dye :shock: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

Wear whatever you want. It'll identify you as a blunderite cuz you will be looking like you and not all those fancified dressing folks. :) Have fun at the show! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:19 pm

ArloNetizen

Now that we've bolstered my self esteem regarding concert fashions, the big questions is do we care to speculate about the unnamed special guest?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:14 am

Arlo Fanatic

I found on sale in K-mart a purple sweatshirt with a peace sign on it. I plan to wear it to one of Arlos shows in Hampton. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:22 pm

ArloNetizen

Looks like it is a sold out show - can't wait for Wednesday! Decided on Beaver Street Brewery for dinner, the new 2012 jeans, and will have a grand time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

You are gonna have a great time! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:00 pm

ArloNetizen

How can we go wrong - friends and a much anticipated concert. And, since two of us scored early bird ticket to Newport Folk Festival this summer, we'll get to see the Guthrie Family Reunion! We'll go from never having seen Arlo live to twice in one year. Would it be rude to ask how many concerts you've been to?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That's an interesting question. Sometimes I've said "hundreds," and other times I've said "dozens." So it made me go into the big, seemingly bottomless closet to search out "The Box," an old wooden crate where lots of my "treasures" end up, including ticket stubs to concerts. I had a couple of years worth in my desk drawer which needed to be put up anyway. So, after locating IT, I counted. The first time I saw Arlo was at a zoo in South Florida, summer of '78. I counted 58 stubs, but I know a few have been lost or misplaced over the years. That averages out to about 2 per year. There have been years that I've missed him, and one year (2003) I went to 6 shows. I have driven hundreds of miles to see him play at times; on one occassion I drove 800 miles. My next Arlo show will be in late May at the Florida Folk Festival on the Suwannee River (Stephen Foster Folk Center). Needless to say, my children (and now my grandchildren), have thought of Arlo as a member of the family since they were old enough to talk. And in a very real way, he is. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:21 am

Arlo Fanatic

Not rude to ask at all. :) I'd say over 100 shows so far. I think I lost count after 150. een going to Arlo shows since 1989. I went with my late hubby Mike who was my concert buddy and pal. So many memories. Now I have to go alone altho I did drag my friend Debbie to an Arlo show in Charlottesville. :) I drug my mom to a few shows as well. Turned out she knew a few of the songs he was singing like Goodnight Irene. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:10 pm

The W!zard

My first Arlo show was one of the National Craft Fair shows in either Gaithersburg, MD or Frederick, MD back in 1987 (both very local to where I was at the time). The farthest I've driven to see him was either the church up in Housatonic, MA or more likely Epcot Center in Orlando, FL... We folks on the east coast are kinda lucky as he does a pretty good job of covering the coastline. Now how many shows I've been to - I've lost count. One of may favorites though will always be when many of the fine folks here pitched in and set me up with a hotel in NYC with tickets to the Carnegie Hall show! Although, everyone hanging out at the church shows is always great and the Ocean City, NJ shows back in 2001 (with Xavier & the Symphony on 2 nights) was great fun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:10 am

Senior ArloNetizen

It’s easier, for me, to count because I saw only 8 shows !... but the first one was in 2008 . Actually, I had no information about Arlo tours, records... before I found Arlonet. I don’t think that Arlo has ever done a show in France, so I drove a lot. The first time it was in Eisenach (Germany) and the years after at Tonder Festival where I attended 2 or 3 different shows each time. I hope to see him again this year (maybe in France? :) )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:21 pm

ArloNetizen

Boys Night Out Tour was a true delight. The cozy venue made it extra special since even the folks in standing room only were right up close. It is set up almost like a college lecture hall but one with spectacular views. Great to see three generations playing together and having a good time doing it. Although the fellas were having a bit of a hard time with the thin air up in Flagstaff. We only had to travel 150 miles to get to that concert. We're looking forward to seeing the Guthrie Family Reunion at the Newport Folk Festival, but that's going to be 2,600 miles. Do we get points for miles traveled?