Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

After learning somethings about what Ike thought about The Giant Military Industrial Complex he tried to warn us about, and him knowing what FDR put in place was needed, he is the last good Republican President that I could care for. If we had acted on Ike's words, and had not what Barry Goldwater warned us about in this photo quote had not happened, we would all be much better off.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Dave wrote:
I consider myself to be a moderate conservative or a centrist.

I really respect that position, especially In Times Like These, when it seems that, within the republican party anyway, folks like you appear to be as rare as hens' teeth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

leoburg wrote:
After learning somethings about what Ike thought about The Giant Military Industrial Complex he tried to warn us about, and him knowing what FDR put in place was needed, he is the last good Republican President that I could care for. If we had acted on Ike's words, and had not what Barry Goldwater warned us about in this photo quote had not happened, we would all be much better off.

Yeah. It's a shame, but BG was really touching on the TV evangelicals. I believe in God and even Jesus, contrary to so many scientists who favor the atheist religion, but I don't believe in most of the TV preachers. A few are okay. They are just preachers, such as Robert SChuller, but most are out there to get the donations and buy a new limo. I want a president that knows "day" in Genesis meant "era."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I want them TV Preachers to understand that the Bible was only a foundation, for there is truth in the Wisdom of all Cultures. My personal favorite wisdom are from the Native American and Eastern philosophies, and the more modern Rock and Roll thoughts about real life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

leoburg wrote:
I want them TV Preachers to understand that the Bible was only a foundation, for there is truth in the Wisdom of all Cultures. My personal favorite wisdom are from the Native American and Eastern philosophies, and the more modern Rock and Roll thoughts about real life.

Out of all the reigions/philosophies/wisdoms which offer a chronologically accurate depiction of creation?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:12 pm

The W!zard

DrCharbonneau wrote:
Out of all the reigions/philosophies/wisdoms which offer a chronologically accurate depiction of creation?

I fully believe in a day means a day, and all of creation was spoken into existence by the great and powerful God the Father. To say that a day means an era is to diminish what He has done, and I certainly don't want to find myself worshiping a god who is less than that. Also, denying the 6 day creation is basically dismantling all of the Bible (although it seems to be a topic coming back to the surface again) - for if you take that foundation away everything else crumbles. If you can't believe in the foundation upon which everything else is built, you may as well not believe at all. It's a tactic often used by atheists / new agers, and some of those in more liberal churches.

As for Robert Schuller, he is one of the fathers of the whole "Purpose Driven" and "Emergent" churches... Rick Warren is one of the big names that came out from under Schuller's teachings, and when it comes to playing fast and loose with the Biblical text, Warren is well know for not being clear and obfuscating much. In fact, he was just recently involved in a big to-do over the Kings Way document which could very easily lead people to believe that he's trying to merge Christianity and Islam.

I'm very concerned with the state of the Christian church in America... More and more churches are heading in to the PD/EC church model where it's more about not offending anyone (didn't Jesus himself say that the Word would be offensive). I've seen churches preach law without gospel, sermons more like things you could find on a self-help aisle in a bookstore, ripping 2 or 3 passages out of context to support whatever they want it to, it's really a sad thing to see... Sure some may be packing them in, but at what cost... Schuller just lost his Crystal Cathedral to the Catholics - but what is worse is how many people are being misled.

I could go on, but I figure that by this point I've probably just about offended most people on here. I will not back down from my beliefs: a God in 3 persons (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), who spoke the universe into existance in 6 days, rested on the 7th, sent his only Son to earth in human form (who preformed miracles), died on the cross for all (as all have sinned), rose from the dead (literally) on the 3rd day, and now sits at the right hand of the Father. Salvation through Jesus Christ (and him alone) as a gift freely given by the grace and mercy of God to all who accept Jesus as their personal Savior (as there is nothing we can do to earn it).

I really shouldn't venture over here... LOL! I'm gonna end up resurrecting the Controversial Topics forum...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Wow, Dave!

I'm not a sycophant, so I'd probably insult the president to his or her face if I felt strongly enough of a particular conviction... and even have the audacity to roll my eyes when I ended up bannished from the White House. :D

Well... this is a thread about myths...

I'll have to do a quick search to find the verse, but Christ, via the apostles, told us that "A day in Heaven is as a thousand years here on the Earth." I could be wrong, but it seems very much that Moses was doing for God what the apostles did for Christ in His absense; relate into men's words the visions given by God. With the interpretation that a day, as told by Moses in Genesis 1, was a 24 hour day and that the planet is less than 10,000 years old, most scientists that actually had schooling would jump off that bandwagon. The Hubble has shown us star systems forming and they don't change much in 6 days as we count them here on Terre Firma. If I have to betray what I think is true and logical to be known as a Christian, then I choose to not be known as one.

I will not, however, even consider denying that YHWY is God, the Alpha and the Omega, and that Jesus was and still is the begotten Son of YHWY. If we were to discuss how the Hubble may offer us some evidence that Genesis, via Moses, has depicted the chronological order of creation, I'd be up for it. I'd suggest we start a new thread or maybe even two, so one can properly depict one interpretation and one depicts the other.

I think it's all fascinating. IMO, it's amazing enough that a being so far advanced can create a system of physics and an unfathomably immense universe at all. Whether He did that in 6 man-defined days or 6 God-defined days is trivial and unimpressive. The fact that mankind goes to war over such a trivial and unimpressive issue is abominable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Answer: Improve
2 Peter 3:8 - But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

This verse doesn't mean that one day on earth equals a thousand years in heaven, or that one day in heaven equals a thousand years on earth; it simply means that God does not regard time as man does, because He is not bound by it. Peter's statement was intended to encourage patience on the part of believers, many of whom thought that Jesus' Second Coming was imminent.

The Bible refers to things happening "quickly" that take hundreds, or even thousands of years to unfold by man's reckoning. For example:

Revelation 22:20 - He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming quickly." Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!

Nearly two thousand years have passed since that passage was written. That's a long time to men, but no more significant than a couple of days to God.

(from wiki answers)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:55 pm

The W!zard

For those not on my FB... I thought I'd share... This seemed appropriate!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Dave wrote:
For those not on my FB... I thought I'd share... This seemed appropriate!

... and me with no drivers for my obsolete sound circuits and no beer to cry in. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 am

Arlo Fanatic

Read a weak back or so about how Ancient China, in their symbols, had all the same images of creation as is in the Bible. Maybe I'll try to dig them all up sometime.

Also heard a Preacher in a video last year, who was talking about the original Hebrew words and what they meant. Dave won't like this, but basically, those words of creation meant a recreation, which I recall him basically meaning, we were before the creation in The Bible.

On a different subject of the Bible. I wish today's Established Church would try to apply the last advice given to John in Revelations 22:10-11, which is basically The Beatles' Songs, ''Let It Be'' & ''Live and Let Die.'' ''They'' use so much ''the letter of the law and Gospel'' that they have forgotten the spirit of the law. Since in Jeremiah 23, you can find the words, ''In the latter days you will clearly understand it'' that chapter's huge rebuke to Religious Leaders, applies as much now, as then, and 2000 years ago. I was very enlightened to find Jeremiah 23:33-40 (After having already come to pretty much the same conclusion.) which is a stern warning against holding to the oracle of the lord, for each man's own words will become the oracle, and if you claim the oracle of the lord, there will be an everlasting reproach. That part about each man's own words being the oracle, sure sounds to me to be the kind of Liberty which our founding Patriots put everything on the line for.

(I prefer The New American Standard Version, though reading all is good for deeper meanings.)

If I were to wear my religion on my sleeve, it would be a call for a few locally everywhere, Thanks Giving Dinners a week, so we could celebrate being passed over the insanity of our times', by the days being shortened as the Lamb said these times would be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 am

Senior ArloNetizen

leoburg wrote:
Read a weak back or so about how Ancient China, in their symbols, had all the same images of creation as is in the Bible. Maybe I'll try to dig them all up sometime.

Also heard a Preacher in a video last year, who was talking about the original Hebrew words and what they meant. Dave won't like this, but basically, those words of creation meant a recreation, which I recall him basically meaning, we were before the creation in The Bible.

On a different subject of the Bible. I wish today's Established Church would try to apply the last advice given to John in Revelations 22:10-11, which is basically The Beatles' Songs, ''Let It Be'' & ''Live and Let Die.'' ''They'' use so much ''the letter of the law and Gospel'' that they have forgotten the spirit of the law. Since in Jeremiah 23, you can find the words, ''In the latter days you will clearly understand it'' that chapter's huge rebuke to Religious Leaders, applies as much now, as then, and 2000 years ago. I was very enlightened to find Jeremiah 23:33-40 (After having already come to pretty much the same conclusion.) which is a stern warning against holding to the oracle of the lord, for each man's own words will become the oracle, and if you claim the oracle of the lord, there will be an everlasting reproach. That part about each man's own words being the oracle, sure sounds to me to be the kind of Liberty which our founding Patriots put everything on the line for.

(I prefer The New American Standard Version, though reading all is good for deeper meanings.)

If I were to wear my religion on my sleeve, it would be a call for a few locally everywhere, Thanks Giving Dinners a week, so we could celebrate being passed over the insanity of our times', by the days being shortened as the Lamb said these times would be.

Cute.

I started a thread in the tropical topics area about the Genesis issue.

It is odd, though, how America, flawed as it is, still hangs on as a Bible nation underGod.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:25 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, Reagan's a good one. Somewhere around here I have a pic of him with Jerry Falwell the preacher I took yrs ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

The weirdest thing happened. I went back and read the launch post. So SFC_Q must be Sgt. 1st Class_Q...

Ummm.... hello. Sounds like you have quite an interesting life. :)

BTW... I volunteered in '71. I felt it was better than being drafted and they let me fix OH-58's while being schooled in Wurzburg to be a mechanical engineer. The war in Vietnam ended and I went home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:45 am

Senior ArloNetizen

... and I was dogged about credentials?