Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject: A History Lesson
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:16 am

ArloNetizen

A History Lesson

I was what is known as an “elderly primigravida,” or, in nurse speak, a “primip.” Anyway, it is a medical term meaning I was old for having my first baby. In other words, I was not young when I started my family.

Six years later, when my daughter and second child was born, I was knocking on the door of…well, I am not going there. Just suffice it to say that some of my classmates had grandchildren older then my daughter.

Flash forward 16 years: Kelleigh is now a junior in high school and is taking advanced placement history. One day after school, she burst through the door and yelled, “Mom-m-m, do you remember the ’60s?” She wore an expression of, dare I say it, glee, on her face.

“Why?” I asked.

“We are studying the ’60s in history.” she replied. “I have to interview someone who lived through the ’60s.” My Garfield bubble immediately popped up above my head and I thought, ’Uh-oh. This is going to be interesting.” Kelleigh’s history teacher was known as the AP Queen of Pioneer High School and her assignments were always, shall we say, interesting.

What came out of my mouth was something like, “What specifically do you want to know about the ’60’s?”

“What do you remember about the Democratic National Convention?” She asked.

My Garfield bubble popped up again. “Couldn't she ask about something less gray?” I thought.

“Well,” I said, “I don’t know anything about the convention itself, but there were a lot of riots surrounding the convention. ‘The Chicago Seven’ was a group who were tried for inciting the riots. Not sure what happened, but I think most of the seven were not convicted or their convictions were overturned.”

Arlo Guthrie was called to testify at one of the “Chicago Seven’s” trial. The month before this interview, I had taken my son and daughter to see Arlo at THE ARK in Ann Arbor, introducing them to some music of my generation.

“Mom, do you remember Woodstock?” Kelleigh asked.

“I didn't go to Woodstock, so no, I don’t remember it.”

Kelleigh popped up and said, “Besides,” Arlo said, “If you remember Woodstock, you weren’t there.”

“I remember the news reports about it,” I replied. “Do you remember that Arlo was one of the performers at the original Woodstock?”

“Oh really? that is urbally cool!” said Kelleigh, although I could tell by her voice that it wasn’t all that urbally cool in her mind.

“What about the Vietnam War?” she asked.

With that question, my Garfield bubble popped up once again...this time, “OH SHIT!” like a neon sign.

Having had many years experience policing my Garfield bubble thoughts, I was quite practiced at not allowing my thoughts to escape as words. Instead, I smiled sweetly and said, “To really cover and discuss the Vietnam War would take more time then we have before dinner is ready.”

“Do you remember Arlo telling the story on why he did not get drafted?,” I asked.

“Yup,” Kelleigh sang as she turned to leave. Just as she reached the doorway, she turned back around and looked at me, and threw one last question at me:

“Did you ever say ‘Never trust anyone over thirty and never trust the establishment?’”

I couldn’t keep the grin off my face and replied, “Yes” [insert a pregnant pause here] “and I am now over thirty and I am the establishment!”

Kelleigh, being my daughter, shot off a parting shot:

“You and Arlo are history!”

Hmmm. I wonder if Kelleigh meant that Arlo and I were so old that we’re part of history or that we were finished speaking about the ’60s and she was on to the next subject. Guess I will never know.

Sometimes I agree with Arlo, in that life SUCKS. When I have one of those sucky days, I try and write something positive. Since Arlo is featured in the piece, I thought I would post it here. If it is inappropriate, please feel free to take it down. Any comments or feedback are welcome.

Go raibh mhaith agat, (Thank-you, in Irish)
Sassy

Last edited by Sassy Ginger Head on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A History Lesson
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:49 am

Senior ArloNetizen

THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:51 am

Arlo Fanatic

Neat story. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Much appreciated Sassy :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hope you write some more Sassy. Thanks for posting.

Peace and a big Irish hug.