Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

They say it's July gone was the hottest month since records began.

Arlo should get another 'pickle' song out before......

Have a nice day fellow humans (and the global warming rest)

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I have some friends down in Australia, telling me about the awful heat down there and fires. People are dying from flash fires out in the crop fields. Not sure what kind of crops those are but that must be one horrible way to go. I can't think of much else that would be worse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Sooner or later most, if not all, countries will be affected. And afterwards nature and earth will recover to something new and maybe even better with or without our species. We blew it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Yea, we blew it, alright. :? So many people are still saying it's not true and laughing. Then why are the polar bears falling off the ice? There's hardly anything for them to stand on, anymore and fishing for them is dangerous. Why are the Great Lakes filling up so much over flood stage that ice is moving across land and knockin down huge building and apartment complexes? I don't get why people can't see this...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

We will all soon see if anything but hot methane comes from the fat climate change talks in Paris.

Lets live in hope!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

https://youtu.be/NAQkCiN9u_w

Check out "arctic-news.blogspot.com" to see what's coming!!!!

And if its all too much this is pure melting to enjoy....beautiful sounds

https://youtu.be/pB1pV8zRVaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm

BlunderVirgin

You know how it's confirmed that climate change is a real thing and will hit us hard?
When even the private sector's writing about how we should all be building "green" because it's economical: https://tranio.com/articles/building-green-trendy-and-economical/

... but I shouldn't complain, who cares what the reasons are as long as it's a step in the right direction?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:01 pm

ArloNetizen

One question I've always had is the following (with setup).

I would guess folks would say that climate and weather are similar, related and interchangeable terms - however you'd like to describe the two. If we agree that saying the climate is changing means something similar to the weather is changing then my question is:

When was the last time humans have been successfully able to control when rain, snow, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, typhoons or any other weather phenomenon happen? My thought is humans have never been able to successfully control the weather. So. . .

What makes humans think they can control climate change? By control I mean effect a change in it's direction.

Please note: I'm NOT saying that the climate is not changing. My point is more - humans haven't been able to control it up til now, what makes us think we can going forward? Why do we think that spending billions of dollars to lower the temperature of the Earth a fraction of a degree is money better spent than using that same money to feed, clothe and house the less fortunate and destitute?

Sincere questions - I'm not looking for a fight - just rational conversation on the subject. Something of interest - "Seductive Simulations" by Myanha Lahson - for a look at the possibility that our prediction models are biased towards the outcome we expect.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:44 am

Arlo Fanatic

RonAlso wrote:
One question I've always had is the following (with setup).

I would guess folks would say that climate and weather are similar, related and interchangeable terms - however you'd like to describe the two. If we agree that saying the climate is changing means something similar to the weather is changing then my question is:

When was the last time humans have been successfully able to control when rain, snow, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, typhoons or any other weather phenomenon happen? My thought is humans have never been able to successfully control the weather. So. . .

What makes humans think they can control climate change? By control I mean effect a change in it's direction.

Please note: I'm NOT saying that the climate is not changing. My point is more - humans haven't been able to control it up til now, what makes us think we can going forward? Why do we think that spending billions of dollars to lower the temperature of the Earth a fraction of a degree is money better spent than using that same money to feed, clothe and house the less fortunate and destitute?

Sincere questions - I'm not looking for a fight - just rational conversation on the subject. Something of interest - "Seductive Simulations" by Myanha Lahson - for a look at the possibility that our prediction models are biased towards the outcome we expect.

I don’t think we “control” it,,,the idea is to not exacerbate a situation.

Here is a page that may be helpful:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:10 pm

ArloNetizen

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0a2a/8 ... 434765.pdf

This is the link to the paper I mentioned. I apologize for misspelling Ms. Lahsen's name.

How is attempting to not make matters worse different from "control" to your way of thinking? Is it different than trying to affect the outcome? It seems the same to me so what am I missing do you think?

Thanks for your response and the link.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Arlo Fanatic

RonAlso wrote:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0a2a/8 ... 434765.pdf

This is the link to the paper I mentioned. I apologize for misspelling Ms. Lahsen's name.

How is attempting to not make matters worse different from "control" to your way of thinking? Is it different than trying to affect the outcome? It seems the same to me so what am I missing do you think?

Thanks for your response and the link.

The Dust Bowl

Another result of improper and unhealthy interactions with the planet.

We humans live here on earth. We have to interact with each other and the planet in as healthy a way we can, for the best outcome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

https://twitter.com/Public_Citizen/stat ... 3816260610

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:28 pm

ArloNetizen

I agree that we need to be responsible in the ways we interact with our planet. Right now, I cannot see the justification for the extreme economic impact (money spent along with impact to infrastructure and economies - both in the form of diverted wealth to address the issue) this endeavor is causing to lower the temperature an insignificant amount which will ultimately have no impact on the overall temperature of our planet and it's climate in general. I feel that money would be better spent as I mentioned - feeding, clothing and providing shelter for folks who have little or none of those amenities.

I checked the link you posted, but did not see a relevant post. Perhaps I missed it by not scrolling further.

Understand that is just my thoughts. I do not expect you, or anyone else, to agree or subscribe to those thoughts. I believe we can disagree and still be civil in our discourse. Thank you for your thoughts agnes. Hope all is well.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

RonAlso wrote:
I checked the link you posted, but did not see a relevant post. Perhaps I missed it by not scrolling further.

Here is the link again. There is plenty of relevance. I don’t know what is not showing up for you.

agnes wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:26 pm

ArloNetizen

My miscommunication (and apologies). I was referring to the twitter thing. I did check out the NASA site.

Thanks!