Forums » Group W Forums » Moose Friends Network

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

No, not Nietzsche the philosopher who said, "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster," except in German. My German Shepherd, the dog I SWORE I'd never own, unless I had someone with me to share the responsibility. The German Shepherd in the "please adopt" post on Facebook.

See, the ex- and I adopted him, back when there was someone to share the responsibility. And then he left, and took Nietzsche for a year or so... that's when he got broken. The ex was a great guy, and probably still is, but his cousin, who lived in the same house for awhile was - quote - a violent man - unquote.

And then the ex asked me to take Nietzsche, even just to return him to the Shepherd Rescue that weekend. But what kind of creep could do that? So I kept him, worked my ass off with him, trying to stabilize him. And then I lost my job, and couldn't get a new one, and a few years later, I was (and am) homeless. Fortunately for me, I live in a place where the homeless aren't completely ignored, so I have places I can sleep safely, but no dogs are allowed. (That's not actually what the rules say in writing, that's just how they threaten you after they realize you have a dog.)

Fortunately, the place where I teach dog classes has cared for him for me (they also put me up in a motel for a week, and paid for repairs to my van). But he's not handling the kennel thing well anymore, and so he needs to be placed. And that is why, even though I SWORE I'd never own another dog, I am asking for help in getting my dog adopted. It sucks, big time. But for him, things can improve a lot, and quickly.

(Oh yeah, and I can't discuss the homeless thing on Facebook, because only a few of my relatives know, and some of the ones that don't are kids, and their minds would explode. So, I talked about it here, instead. I hope no minds exploded.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

So sorry to hear about what happened to you., Hope things go better for you. Prayers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Nietzsche got placed soon after I posted. And actually, so did I, temporarily. I stayed with a friend (who had taken K9 Nose Work classes from me) between September 2016 and May 2017 - while I was working part time within a mile of her house. Boy, did THAT help save on gas money!!

So, I've been back in "the system" since May, continuing to look for a full time job. I finally got one, last week, though I haven't been scheduled for my first day, yet. I will be answering the phone at a vet office, making less than 1/2 of what I was when I was laid off.

My plan is to save as much as I can (after gasoline and other vehicle costs), and get into an apartment before next Christmas... hopefully with help from one of the local charities that helps the homeless. I have 2 dreams: I want a nice bed (so even if I get everything else donated, I want to take or add my own money onto the bed costs, and get the most comfortable bed I can afford), and I want a dog, because I really miss Nietzsche. I'm so f&cking tired of being around people who yell all the time... I want a dog that doesn't yell.

A friend of mine breeds Border Terriers, knows my story and said she will consider me for a puppy - which will be bred at the end of 2018 and sent home spring of 2019. My dog that doesn't yell will be a Border Terrier. I'm considering the name "You Can Get Anything You Want" - call name "Guthrie."

What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Arlo Fanatic

what are the people yelling about?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
what are the people yelling about?

It depends. A few of them claim hearing issues, which make them project - and yet, these same people can overhear people whispering about secrets from across a dinner table. Those are the perpetual yellers.

Sometimes the yelling is because someone touched someone who doesn't want to be touched, sometimes because person A accuses person B of stealing something. Or because someone is drunk and yelling out rock lyrics, or shouting to a friend... or they are shouting out their latest conspiracy theory, which is usually bigoted and threatens violence.

It's lots of fun. Well, it will be when I'm away from it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

oh okay,,,

and if you don’t mind, who is the dog in the picture? is it a dog you have had before, or maybe you are just showing us a border terrier? at any rate, it is a handsome dog.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
oh okay,,,

and if you don’t mind, who is the dog in the picture? is it a dog you have had before, or maybe you are just showing us a border terrier? at any rate, it is a handsome dog.

the dog is a border terrier, hopefully similar to what i'll have one day. And (for now anyway) named Guthrie. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

in my best scottish accent:

it sounds like a nice scottish name.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

Hope things go better for you. Prayers.

star wrote:
Nietzsche got placed soon after I posted. And actually, so did I, temporarily. I stayed with a friend (who had taken K9 Nose Work classes from me) between September 2016 and May 2017 - while I was working part time within a mile of her house. Boy, did THAT help save on gas money!!

So, I've been back in "the system" since May, continuing to look for a full time job. I finally got one, last week, though I haven't been scheduled for my first day, yet. I will be answering the phone at a vet office, making less than 1/2 of what I was when I was laid off.

My plan is to save as much as I can (after gasoline and other vehicle costs), and get into an apartment before next Christmas... hopefully with help from one of the local charities that helps the homeless. I have 2 dreams: I want a nice bed (so even if I get everything else donated, I want to take or add my own money onto the bed costs, and get the most comfortable bed I can afford), and I want a dog, because I really miss Nietzsche. I'm so f&cking tired of being around people who yell all the time... I want a dog that doesn't yell.

A friend of mine breeds Border Terriers, knows my story and said she will consider me for a puppy - which will be bred at the end of 2018 and sent home spring of 2019. My dog that doesn't yell will be a Border Terrier. I'm considering the name "You Can Get Anything You Want" - call name "Guthrie."

What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
Hope things go better for you. Prayers.

star wrote:

What do you think?

i love prayers, i.e. : the focused thought or intent to sincerely want things to get better.
and the actions as well.

but you cannot effectively send out your prayers while simultaneous, voting in a congress that will do exactly the opposite

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/932256970014420992

https://www.facebook.com/senatorsanders ... 4675782908