Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

Post subject: Re: politics
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

woodstock69 wrote:
beverleyknowles wrote:
Well here we all are in the dawn of a new world. At lease we are still all here to see it for the moment!

In addition to my drunken rant a forum or so ago, I sadly thought he would get in but how much better would Hillary have been?!? I wasn't my call to make but in this ever shrinking world of economically driven politics it a diction which will have global repercussions.

Regardless of any State the world is owned by 1% of the total population, with the only thing trickling down being manipulation, deception and fear; the retrenchment of freedoms, knowledge and opportunity leave little room to take a step back to see the wider picture in the light.

99% of the global population are driven by an economic stick into holding up so few, but the weigh of baring those who fill their pockets with the worth of others is too munch.

" If your Aiming for the stars, then you're gonna hit the roof. You don't know if anybody's really by your side. Until your back's against the wall with nowhere left to hide" [I.Brown]

what you step as you roam, as if you only ever see the stars and think of them as your own, it will only take for me to move and watch you land anoumg the stones.

Peace, Love and hope to you all.
Me

"So now our fruit has finally come to fall, and time has ripened this eternal moment for us all. The shadows filled with former fears are swept away as if the howling winds of night have ceased to play before the dawn's early light." - ADG

What a world our generation has created for those who will follow us. More wars, huge numbers of refguees, famine, destroying our one and only planet, racism etc etc and allowing despots and crazy men to become leaders of humanity. We are were we are but still, life, nature, peace and goodwill can still prevail, if only we.....

Peace and love to all of goodwill and here's hoping for another kind of dawn

https://youtu.be/EvGJvzwKqg0

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/ ... t-on-trump

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Maybe Trump will ask Bernie to work with him in helping to build bridges rather than walls?

The American political system didn't elect Mr Trump, the majority of US voters did and that's American democracy. Seems lots of americans want change and without doubt voted for something different. The fact that there were more reds under the beds was a wee bit of a surprise. But nomatter, there are folks of goodwill on boths sides of the political divide (I even heard that Arlo is a republican! )
The handover from Obama to Trump seems to have kicked off on a good note - that's nice and no grabbing....

He's ALL yours America!

Peace and goodwill to same

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:

to elaborate a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olILIkiIrM0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:16 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Its up to the American people if they want to pursue a more progressive future for the generations to come and leaders like Bernie Sanders are indicating and working towards making America a better place to live and be. Trump's rants on "Making America Great" rings so very hollow and we shall all discover that in the next four years. Making America Better seems to be what Mr Sanders is about and hopefully this movement will grow..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:36 pm

The Folkslinger

I was for Bernie! But just to clear up - most Americans did not vote for Mr. Trump. We are not a true democracy of simple majority rule. Most States voted for Mr. Trump, and therefore the Electoral College is encouraged to vote for him in a separate election to be held soon. The Electoral College works to insure that large clusters (mainly in urban areas) of people cannot dictate their values to others who may live in less populated areas. This is generally a very good thing. It keeps us from a dictatorship of the majority, and insures a valued opposition to those in powerful places. Sometimes this system gets a little iffy, but I wouldn't want it to be any different. It has worked up until now, and I imagine it will for a long time to come, despite the current situation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
I was for Bernie! But just to clear up - most Americans did not vote for Mr. Trump. We are not a true democracy of simple majority rule. Most States voted for Mr. Trump, and therefore the Electoral College is encouraged to vote for him in a separate election to be held soon. The Electoral College works to insure that large clusters (mainly in urban areas) of people cannot dictate their values to others who may live in less populated areas. This is generally a very good thing. It keeps us from a dictatorship of the majority, and insures a valued opposition to those in powerful places. Sometimes this system gets a little iffy, but I wouldn't want it to be any different. It has worked up until now, and I imagine it will for a long time to come, despite the current situation.

there seem to be varying perspectives or positions on this.

i (as many others) am in the process of learning.

i wasn’t born hundreds of years ago, but the two times in my lifetime when the popular vote was overridden by the electoral college resulted in gw bush and donald trump.

i posted this a while back on this thread looking into some ideas. the third link posted near the bottom of the post talks about the electoral college.
agnes wrote:
i came across these and thought i would put them here (on the politics thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE (aside: i love the squirrel with the thought bubbles)

this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUS9mM8Xbbw

the "killed by indians" part bugs me a bit because indians were also killed…in a big way.
so there's that

also, something not mentioned in that video clip but that i read about later, about the electoral college had something to do with the north and the south and slaves who were not allowed to vote but could be counted in by owners to a certain degree.

anyhow, here is one article that talks a bit about that

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/ele ... stitution/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

adg wrote:

Thanks for that Arlo and Agnes. i went and gave myself a further wee civics lesson concerning the matter and hopefully understand a little more. The USA is where it is today warts an all but it deserves the honour of being "The leader of the free world" because your democracy has defended and enabled other peoples to defend and discover freedom.
The majority of Irish and dare I say it British people are grateful for what President Bill Clinton and Hillary did for Ireland re the Peace Process which would never had been successful without their hands-on involvement. Many others from the US political establishment also helped to further the cause of peace in Ireland down through the years both Republicans and Democrats. The US establishment has sent millions of its armed forces to many countries, many situations with many, many of those very same soldiers arriving home in body bags. Democracy, even peace and goodwill comes with a price.

I wrote these words not because your democracy has, is and hopefully will continue to grow 'better' for all the people but that we all can and will continue to grow in peace and goodwill leading to understanding each other better no matter what country, race, creed, sexual orientation politics or music we happen to be.

Politics, politicians and Mr Trumps will come and go but here's hoping that democracy blossoms from our wee seeds!

"If I had a hammer......all over this land"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

woodstock69 wrote:
adg wrote:

Thanks for that Arlo and Agnes. i went and gave myself a further wee civics lesson concerning the matter and hopefully understand a little more. The USA is where it is today warts an all but it deserves the honour of being "The leader of the free world" because your democracy has defended and enabled other peoples to defend and discover freedom.
The majority of Irish and dare I say it British people are grateful for what President Bill Clinton and Hillary did for Ireland re the Peace Process which would never had been successful without their hands-on involvement. Many others from the US political establishment also helped to further the cause of peace in Ireland down through the years both Republicans and Democrats. The US establishment has sent millions of its armed forces to many countries, many situations with many, many of those very same soldiers arriving home in body bags. Democracy, even peace and goodwill comes with a price.

I wrote these words not because your democracy has, is and hopefully will continue to grow 'better' for all the people but that we all can and will continue to grow in peace and goodwill leading to understanding each other better no matter what country, race, creed, sexual orientation politics or music we happen to be.

Politics, politicians and Mr Trumps will come and go but here's hoping that democracy blossoms from our wee seeds!

"If I had a hammer......all over this land"

what?

okay, backing up a bit to the subject of electoral college and popular vote

agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

there seem to be varying perspectives or positions on this.

i (as many others) am in the process of learning.

i wasn’t born hundreds of years ago, but the two times in my lifetime when the popular vote was overridden by the electoral college resulted in gw bush and donald trump.

i posted this a while back on this thread looking into some ideas. the third link posted near the bottom of the post talks about the electoral college.
agnes wrote:
i came across these and thought i would put them here (on the politics thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE (aside: i love the squirrel with the thought bubbles)

this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUS9mM8Xbbw

the "killed by indians" part bugs me a bit because indians were also killed…in a big way.
so there's that

also, something not mentioned in that video clip but that i read about later, about the electoral college had something to do with the north and the south and slaves who were not allowed to vote but could be counted in by owners to a certain degree.

anyhow, here is one article that talks a bit about that

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/ele ... stitution/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

while we are pondering that

more from bernie sanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqsmebjkxY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
while we are pondering that

more from bernie sanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqsmebjkxY

Okay, here's me over in wee Ireland having watched and listened to Bernie Sanders and I'm wondering Agnes and Arlo. Are there are any other folks, especially US citizen voters, on this site who have an opinion now about Bernie Sanders and his encouraging of such a Movement within the US?

This man appears to offer a better, realistic approach in dealing with the relevant issues that should be of concern to most if not every American. Supporting, joining and building such a social Movement that he promotes seems a solid place to advance the cause of making America better for all its citizens.

As i watch other programs and discussions concerning the US and going on such information it would appear that divisions within the US are increasingly getter worse and sadly will probably boil over into extreme violence.

It took us over here to live through thirty years of a bitter, dirty, bloody war resulting in thousands of wasted lives for us to learn to live together and respect each other as equals. The war is over but Ireland is still working on the peace and goodwill bit for everyone and for which we are all, each one, responsible to promote if i believe it to be the better way and solution in resolving issues with my neighbour.

We all see things from our own wee perspective and maybe I require new glasses more regularily but I wouldn't mind looking through a pair of Bernie's....

Here's to a peaceful people's movement Agnes :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

re: the electoral college

using this video clip as a reference

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 78970.html

“they also didn’t think “the common man” was informed enough to choose a suitable president.”
i have read the gist of this statement in a number of publications, including a video or two i have already posted here.

let me say this first. in a number of circumstances, i think that “the common man” is more knowledgable than you might think! that said, in the case of this election, i have observed that academics and “the common man” alike would well say that if ever there was a time to step in to check the suitability of a president elect, now would be the time!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

President Donal Trump will be impeached during 2017 with the Republicans supporting, if not demanding, his impeachment allowing for Mike Pence to become President which will suit the Republican Party and probably give them a further four more years control. A President Pence will be seen as a safe pair of hands by many. I think Paul Ryan and others have had their sights on this scenario which is a win-win for them and much better than they could have wished for.
Donald Trump will just walk away having achieved his goal of becoming President.

The real battle will take place within the Democratic Party

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i wonder what specifically the republicans in charge would be opposed to in regards to donald trump’s policy positions?

we shall see?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Trump's policy positions are headlight distractions that he turns on and off to suit particular moments. The man can be relied on for bluster and political twitterings. A crude businessman rather than a Presidential states person. The world knows who and what Trump is about and what he stands for, republicans included and they don't want him! They may have needed him but he will next year be surplus to requirements, big time.

When they dump Trump through the legitimate process of impeachment and Pence takes over they will thus consolidate their political position in their appeal to would-be democratic voters. One has just to imagine following Trump's impeachment how President Pence and the republican leadership take about making America better for all..

Its not about policy - its about POWER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

woodstock69 wrote:
Trump's policy positions are headlight distractions that he turns on and off to suit particular moments. The man can be relied on for bluster and political twitterings. A crude businessman rather than a Presidential states person. The world knows who and what Trump is about and what he stands for, republicans included and they don't want him! They may have needed him but he will next year be surplus to requirements, big time.

When they dump Trump through the legitimate process of impeachment and Pence takes over they will thus consolidate their political position in their appeal to would-be democratic voters. One has just to imagine following Trump's impeachment how President Pence and the republican leadership take about making America better for all..

Its not about policy - its about POWER