Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Arlo's Restaurant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:20 pm

BlunderVirgin

Hi, I just got on board with the forum. I've been an admirer of Arlo's music since I was 16, growing up in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, when I first came across Alice's Restaurant at an old funky bookstore...I still collect the vinyl and in fact just came across Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys that was given to me by a pretty lady here in Sonoma, California...and today I'm repairing my copy of Runnin Down the Road, which has a completely blown out top seam from years of enjoyment...
I do an all-vinyl radio show here on our community radio station, I call it the Vinyl Cave, Fridays, 7-10 pm west coast time. I'm at www.ksvy.org
Next week, (December 9), I'm going to have a bunch of local ukulele players do some live numbers on my show and I'm going to intersperse with some vinyl cuts with ukuleles...McCartney's Ram On, some Tiny Tim, Iz, and Arlo's Ukulele Lady! I wanted to give the proper credit for the ukulele part but it's not noted anywhere in Hobo's Lullaby, just lists all the performers (and wow! there are some great names there!!!)
Does anyone know who played ukulele on Ukulele Lady?
Thanks!
Darriel Arnott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:18 pm

The Folkslinger

I did. adg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:51 pm

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:
I did. adg

...And well played it was, Arlo. Growing up as I did in Hawaii, I always loved that song - and ukulele music in general. Darriel: Cool idea for a broadcast, and Ukulele Lady will fit in well... Look into some Israel Kamakawiwo'ole to round of the guest players list. An amazing young man, he was. Over theRainbow or Wonderful World would be likely choices to spin, but he certainly left quite a collection of great tunes to chose from.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

jwbonz wrote:
adg wrote:
I did. adg

...And well played it was, Arlo. Growing up as I did in Hawaii, I always loved that song - and ukulele music in general. Darriel: Cool idea for a broadcast, and Ukulele Lady will fit in well... Look into some Israel Kamakawiwo'ole to round of the guest players list. An amazing young man, he was. Over theRainbow or Wonderful World would be likely choices to spin, but he certainly left quite a collection of great tunes to chose from.

Ohhh, Israel's Over The Rainbow is beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:24 am

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:
I did. adg

Thanks, Arlo :)

I hope if you have time, you can tune into my show. I'll have upwards to 9 uke players in the studio! Again, it's this (and every) Friday, from 10-1 am Stockbridge time. www.ksvy.org. The uke players will be on during the first half of the show. Are there any of your other songs where you play ukulele? Any other rock/pop/country/etc songs you could suggest that have the uke? I'm going to intersperse the live ukes with the vinyl including your "Ukulele Lady". I also have a record by the Waikiki's, Paul McCartney...I'm searching for an Iz record...Plus, if you have any other theme suggestions for my all vinyl show, let me know. I have an eclectic collection of records :)

I also wanted to mention two other things. One is that I found one of your old "Rolling Blunder Reviews" from 1988 in my Alice's Restaurant LP. It was the one where you paid homage to your friend, John Pilla. That was nice rereading that.

The other is, that sometime in July of 2009, a few months after my Mom, Audrey, died, my sweetheart (and now the mother of our two kids) and I went on a rambling road trip through New England and paid a visit to Stockbridge, where we went into the place that seemed to be a hippie tourist store next to the old Alice's restaurant there on the main drag. It was there that we found out you had bought the Church and it was our very good luck to be rolling through town on an open mic night at the Church. We went and it was my fond pleasure to get on stage and play "Oklahoma Hills" on the guitar that I had, the year before, slipped down a Peruvian mountainside to rescue from our bus that had fallen to its doom down the mountainside (...with no one inside...long story...)
Anyhow, that's a fond memory and I just want to say Thank You, Arlo Guthrie :)
Darriel Arnott, Sonoma, Caifornia.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:29 am

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
I did. adg

I figured you probably did. :)