Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: Dublin, Ireland
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2000 5:58 pm

Just over a year ago I was fortunate enough to see Arlo at Whelan's in Dublin. I hadn't seen him live since the late 60's and Woodstock days and got on line so early that I was sitting at a table 10 yards away. This is a wonderful intimate club and it was a real privilege. What was most amazing to me, was that the audience was mostly comprised of 18-25 year old Irish young people. Not so surprising, since it is Ireland, but that they would even know that they were sitting in front of Royalty. (I don't want to embarrass Arlo in that choice of phrasing but for us old hippies, Arlo represents Nobility in a world that was not always so Noble).
You wouldn't believe it, in 15 minutes he had everyone mesmerised. They were singing along with "I don't want a pickle..." A magical evening.

I don't see on the schedule any European or International dates. When is he returning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2000 6:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sadly I don't know when he will be returning there. No shows for there are on the schedule. It was rumored he might come to Scotland however that did not come to be due to his wife Jackies illness. Keep checking the concert listings on Arlonet & hopefully he will add one for your area sometime. I think he went there last yr sometime, I think. Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong. Sounds like you had a nice time. If you can get to here in the States, you'd be able to go to lots of shows & meet lots of nice folks too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2000 10:24 pm

Howdy Matthew.... where in Dublin is Whelan's? In particular, where is it in relation to the post office on the main street?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2000 10:42 pm

The W!zard

Jamie, you get around almost as much as Sherry don't ya?! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 2:55 am

Arlo Fanatic

And I told Arlo in Oct. that I'd been to around 50 shows of his! He said it was more like 150. After 50 or more shows it's hard to remember but so far I remember them all & certain stuff about each one. Never been to Ireland tho. I can verify these folks have been seen at shows! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 7:33 am

Hi Jamie,

Hard to explain from the central postoffice.
You go up Dame Street, to Georges Street, then all the way to the other side of town, where Georges Street changes its name. It is a great venue with plenty of Guinness, as in all pubs! The place has a balcony running all around, tables in the centre, and steps at the back up to the bar. They pack them in. If you get there a half hour early, you stand on line and can run for a front seat. Of course, it is Dublin and can be raining, so watch you don't slip, when you are drenched like a wet cat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 6:33 pm

Thanks, Matthew. I spent a few days there over the summer. I visited the Guinness factory and the big college there with the famous original copy of the Gospels. I forget the name of the college. I drank lots of Guinness, though. I do remember that! Image

Dave: yep Image

[This message has been edited by Jamie (edited Jan 05, 2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 7:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

You should've gone to see Arlo there! :) That would've been so much fun! :) Course Arlo never plans his schedule around ours. LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 8:19 pm

It's the Book of Kells, held in Trinity College. An old illustrated manuscript of the Gospels. Actually you only see two pages of it, because a book in a glass case can only be open to two pages! The rest are copies, of course.

When the Vikings came, the monks used to climb those tall round towers, pull up the ropes, save the manuscripts, and leave the rest to be raped and pillages.

I am not diverting from the subject. This is all to encourage Arlo to return again to Ireland. (Not the rape and pillage part but the historical interest part).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 8:57 pm

Raping, pillaging, Arlo.... it's all related, somehow.

Yeah... The Book of Kells at Trinity College. Very impressive. I stayed at the youth hostel. After Dublin, I headed toward County Cork, visiting Cork, Blarney, and Killarney. Then I went to Galway and back to Dublin. I loved Ireland. If I ever go back, I'll have to visit Whelan's. I never knew I was that close to it. I remember hearing that Arlo had been there, but I didn't know it was in Dublin, and I didn't know I had been that close to it.

Happy Blundering, Matthew! Image