Forums » Group W Forums » Controverial Topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It was not that long ago I seen the great city for the first time myself, The Empire State Building and Times's Square were the must see items on my list as well as "The lady of the harbour", I think, I could spend a life time in the city and still find new places and things to surprise and delight me.
I stopped by the Ed Sullivan Theater and the CBS store, but New York is a place of people, people buying, selling, going coming and jaywalking, taxi horns and police man's whistles, looking up and up and up and being always ready to hear that New Yorker way of talking, like Alice in Wonderland or Dorthy after the storm, one thing is for sure, We Are Not in Kanas Anymore...

Oh so many things to do, I think Brother Rabbit lives there and he would be willing to offer some hints, but no matter where one turns adventure awaits.

Enjoy, delight in the child within seein with the eyes of the child you are sharing with and that my friend is heaven on earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:59 pm

The W!zard

Hmmm... Stern show? Letterman??? Conan O'Brien???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 11:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Wouldn't you have to mug someone for his tickets to get into those on short notice? For the Today show, I think you can stand around outside and they do stuff out there, too.
When I lived there as a kid most of my favorite things to do were things that made you feel you weren't in the city. Grass, trees, the rocks you could climb on in the parks - were the big treats. But I guess they'd be kind of beside the point if you were coming specifically to see the city and have plenty of those things at home. Still, on a nice day, Central Park can provide hours of free entertainment, with people doing all kinds of interesting things that you can watch - some of them are even legal in some states.
Do they still busk in Washington Square Park? That used to be a fantastic place with every kind of act and entertainment you could imagine. People would trailer in pianos, there were tightrope walkers..everything. I don't know if that still happens in Rudy's NY, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 10:40 am

Arlo Fanatic

Dave, while I agree that Howard had some very nice sights to see, I am not so sure that Mike would enjoy them as much as you or me.

Poor Pat, a special treat was to climb a rock, you ought to see Grand Canyon but then again you did seem rather proud that your trash barge had been well traveled....hmmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 12:47 pm

Nathen, I had a similiar experience in the Big Apple, last year, was my 1st time back there, in 32 years. I too marvelled at the buildings & the people & all there was to do & see. I left there happy... that I know the country, the wilderness, as well. and, that I'm still a child at heart & can be awestruck & dazzled by wonderments,
Never did see Jill Hennessy though.. i really wanted to.......

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Bumper on Jun 11, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 3:53 pm

New York is on a roll right now. I think they still busk in Washington Square, and they certainly still get up on that dry fountain and give political speeches. Rudy's made it a lot harder for street artists and I'm not sure they bring in large PA systems any more, but they still play instruments and stuff.

A lot of kids of all ages just get off on the city itself. If you're from somewhere that isn't all built up like that, the geometry of Broadway hitting the tall buildings at an angle, and the traffic and bustle midtown are something to see in themselves.

Central Park has a trolley tour given by the Conservatory or someone like that, where you can ride safely around the whole park and find places you'd like to go back to. The park has some really nice lakes and rock formations, all man made. One pond has a place where you can rent boats and row around. Guys like to take girls around and impress them. The south end is very touristy and has horse and buggy rides and generally a fun theme park atmosphere.

At least in day time the danger in the park is vastly overrated, as long as there are people around, and in a city of 8.5 million this is usually the case. Image

Mostly I go for art shows but then I'm weird. If you're into modern and post modern art, going to museums and galleries in NYC compared to anywhere else is like taking a caffeine intravenous as opposed to weak iced tea.

-Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 6:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

thank you all for the input...

no plans is what i'm hearing...just let the city do it's magic.

guidance, not directive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 10:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

no plan is a good plan todd... let the weather be your guide to some extent...
if you've got a nice day, then stuff like Twin Towers, Empire State building, are cool with mike. Go early, avoid the lines. If you're into culture, the Metropolitan Museum along Central park is a good option, cause you probably can find SOMETHING you both agree is really art, and you can head up to the rooftop sculpture garden and hang out looking out over the park... and if you get bored, you just walk right around the building and you're right IN the park! Not a big hike to the carousel or the lake... if the weather is more iffy... you might peek into the NBA store on 5th ave., or ESPN ZONE on 42 Street. Perhaps you go downtown, lunch in chinatown, and then head over to the seaport and check out the boats... maybe the petrol is doing afternoon sails... find a construction site, and marvel how they can build in such a tight space! (see our new corporate headquarters building going up at Madison and 46th St.) Yankee stadium? CONEY ISLAND has a new stadium... not sure if it's open yet... subway ride? battery park is nice... Vietnam vets memorial on water street... damn... I'm tired just thinkin' about all that in one day!!!! LOL!
If you plan to trek here and there by subway/bus, be sure to get a FUN PASS Metrocard... $4.00 each good for the whole day. The machines in the subways sell them, along with certain vendors... NOT necessarily the token booths (they don't want 'commuters' gettin' this break too easy!)
hey! if you come on a weekday, give me a call, maybe I can sneak out for a bit...

have a great time! I'm sure mike will just think it's cool goin' into the city with dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

things seem to be going really well all over this site...i'm gettin' hinky!!!

makes me wonder where sherry is???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:56 am

Senior ArloNetizen

hinky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

hinky: an intuitive or gut feeling that something is wrong...for example,

a man carrying a pickle that has a cord running out of it and the cord is connected to the briefcase sitting on the ground next to him.

"it was at that moment that i knew i didn't want a pickle." (ADG)

he got hinky!!! get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

my mom always made sure I went to school with a hinky in my pocket!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i'm boxed in by an ancient computer and aol as a server...if anyone that reads this can help me, i would appreciate it.

i can't find the lyrics to Michael Martin Murphey's, "Geronimo's Cadillac."

i can only remember the chorus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by todd:

i can't find the lyrics to Michael Martin Murphey's, "Geronimo's Cadillac."

i can only remember the chorus...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geronimo's Cadillac
(Michael Martin Murphey/Charles John Quarto)

Well they put Geronimo in jail down south
Where he couldn't look the gift horse in the mouth
Sargent, sargent, don't you fear
There's something wrong with that automobile

Governer, governer, isn't it strange
I ain't never seen on a car on this Indian range
Warden, warder, please listen to me
Be brave and set Geronimo free

I said boys, take me back
I want to ride in Geronimo's Cadillac

Let me ride, let me ride

White man, white man, don't you know
Those indians they had no place to go
They took old Geronimo by storm
Ripped off the feathers from his uniform

Jesus tells me I believe its true
He said the red man is in the sunset too
They stole the land, now they won't give it back
And they sent Geronimo a Cadillac

Let me ride, let me ride

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

thank you, sweet bel of the north.

that's a darn good song!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.