Forums » Group W Forums » Controverial Topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 2:25 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by todd:

sitrep:

i'm getting some support from blunderites,,,overt and covert.

plan to get film footage of the mayhem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Solidarity from me. Jail solidarity if it comes to that.

About a 50% chance (down from about 98%) that I'll be in DC for the festivities. If I am there, I am there with camera.

If you shoot anything good, and it survives, the DC and NYC Independent Media Centers will be interested.

-Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 2:38 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumper:

p.s Todd, just about anyone or anything in a public venue is legally filmable, under "public domain" protection..
If you "feature" anyone with visual & audio pickup, who isnt speaking or acting in a public forum, or, isnt a public figure, you probably need their written permisssion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A protest scene is probably also considered hard news, and therefore the likenesses of participants are considered in the public domain for news reportage, requiring no releases. Identifiable persons whose likenesses and/or voices are singled out remain news if they are doing newsworthy things, like speaking, shouting, throwing teddy bears, getting killed, or commenting heatedly on the deaths of others. Otherwise it's advisable to CYA and get releases. The public TV station idea is good, as is the possibility of finding standard forms sold in camera stores catering to professionals.

-Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 2:46 am

Arlo Fanatic

thanks..

gonna try to obtain enough well being to pull this off..
i figure if you're destined to be shot, you won't be hung.

thanks again, z and bump.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by todd on Sep 06, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 10:41 am

I'll be there, with ya,in spirit, Todd!
Welcome back, Zowie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 3:19 pm

Thanks, Bumper.

There was no way I was going to get that close to DC and not show up, though now it's iffy if I can even get out of L.A.. Things are not going well.

Some more thoughts:

If you really plan serious cinematography you might want to check in with the people who try to maintain internal organization at these demos so you have some credential when the anarchist kids try to take you for a cop, which they will because in their minds anyone older than they are, and/or anyone who has seen enough of leftist politics to realize that more than teen spirit is needed, has to be. At a minimum I'd check in with the lawyer's guild observers and whatever group is running sound, sign distribution, puppet making, and all that. You might check with the New York ACLU. I know from e-mail that they'll be there in force.

You might be able to hook up with the Independent Media Center. They always set up rather elaborate support facilities near to where the protest groups are converging. This not only establishes credential, meaning that you get to sue for more money when the pigs whack anything with a lens, but also there are places to sleep, wash up, hide from the cops, and generally feel like the Revolution is finally underway.

I doubt there's any realistic way to shut down this WB/IMF meeting but we've already scared them just by THREATENING to show. These things are usually an excuse for the fat cats to throw parties for a week, but this one is a two day business meeting only.

They're gonna start doing these things on islands under military guard. (Brunei is becoming popular.) This is not what democracy looks like, and the media's guaranteed to make a big thang that the corps have to hide out from the rest of the world just to function. We win just by organizing.

-Z
who remains happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 3:31 pm

Exactly zowie. There was a shift, in public awareness, after Seattle, that despite mainstream media fixation on the anarchists, rather than the issues, passions were stirred by the lack of common sense in what "globalization" has become, Those awareness shifts, and passions were furthered, in Genoa. This month, in DC, will be a chance to
"win by organizing" for sure! Anachists can't hold the entire focus of attention, this time. Nor can pre-empted, corporate owned media keep the lid on heart-felt concerns & passions. Hit "record" & let it roll, guys!
"ya don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows"
B Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 4:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

HEY!!! wait a minute...i just watched a piece on tv about the fact that neither side wants the coverage, so any and all with cameras are, "fair game".

i'm so scared and yet happily thrilled, that
it's either i'm gonna get a nut on this mission or get kicked in the nuts???

now i uderstand z's comment about, if the tape survives!!!

it's good to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 6:36 pm

You got it, Todd, your camera & mic willl be the eyes & ears of us, who arent there Both sides wanna provide their own spin... you will gum up their works, by being there, you will be a target!

so, in the words of Carlos Casteneda;

" I am already given to the power that runs my fate
I cling to nothing, so I will have nothing to defend
I have no thoughts, so I will see
I fear nothing, so I will remember myself detached and at ease
I will dart past the eagle, to be free"

action, roll em.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 6:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds very Zen to me Bumper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

so be it.

i agree...being a pre-historic blunderite,,sorta
gives me an edge.

i mean, i mean, i burnt my draft card on the capital steps 31 years ago...and got away with it...up til now?

i'll do yas proud.

larry, zen is your everday thought...

One day Chao-chou fell down in the snow, and called out, "Help me up! Help me up!"
A monk came and lay down beside him.
Chao-chou got up and went away. (zen koan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 11:15 pm

tiz true Larry, kinda like that...

'barn's burnt down...
now, i can see the moon"
masahide

A Monk asked Yun-men "what are the teachings of a lifetime?"
Yun-men said "An appropriate statement"
Zen Mondo

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Bumper on Sep 06, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

star and bumper, my computer went kaput during our chat...borrowed this one..

just letting you know cos i felt bad when i couldn't and probably won't be able to get on for a while. didn't mean to seem rude.

soon, todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 1:06 am

Senior ArloNetizen

no prob, boss. i figured it was something like that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 10:48 am

gotcha, todd, catcha on the flip-flop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:07 am

I got back into this leftist opposition groove-thang when 10,000 people like me hit L.A. for the DNC. You understand that otherwise there are about four people like me in L.A., and I know three of them. This, then, was a bit of a mind-folk, that there was anyone else out there anywhere.

Of course, the first thing that happened was that L.A. hit the people like me back. Hard. This was not a good thing, and it got me thinking about this stuff.

The cops always target media. This is the first rule. Anything with a lens is trouble, because when the ACLU sues the pants off the pigs, the footage becomes evidence that they were covering up their badges, holding batons above the head, firing rubber bullets without letting them ricochet first, and taking out credentialed media and observers, all of which are against cop rules.

You don't have to be alternative media, at least in L.A.. I can hook you up with an NBC channel 4 cameraman who still has pains in his side from last year at this time. He'll show you the scar.

This is going to sound really, really crazy, but then so did the idea that America had a left at all before N30 Seattle. I think if everyone who's sick of the cops getting away with this crap chipped in, we'd be able to set up some kind of surveillance from a distance, either from aircraft or tall buildings, and microwaved directly to an uplink away from the action that they don't know about (they'll hit IMC every time) and all with sufficient redundancy and tactical dispersal to be more places than they can.

-ZImageImage
the whole world is watching

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.