Forums » Group W Forums » Controverial Topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

holy shit! Am I now a jackbooted minion??????? who strapped these suckers on my legs???

oh yeah, deb, you said
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
dave was "hitler" or "satan",
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

when did he change???? Image

(not for nohting, but every time I see a South Park episode with Satan, I keep wondering who the genius was that cast dave in that part!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:36 pm

deb i understand what you are saying about dave and the "minor wizards" however he did post recently on this thread and i would be quit surprized to find out that Kim did not in some way relate to him what was going on.

I fully understand how a clique could and does develop in such an environment pat, i am mearly pointing out that when people generalize about the history of the site and say they do not want it to be trivial. they first must step back and take a real look at what is going on.
how many people got defensive when they saw the numbers.(it does not matter if they posted about it or not)

those are the people looking for a vicarious life through a virtual world . they did not ake part in the "main" controversy going on here yet want to govern based on other peoples poss.

i must also say that it may apear that i have taken a few shots at kim. however i feel quit the opposit about her she is the first one to make an attempt to say how she felt. i might not like the waqy she said it or what she said but i have great respect for her saying it.

i completely understand what people are saying about the tone of the posts in question.

I am saying how is an on going conversation about who is and isn't a bitch any different?

i'll tell you it is all about the conection and relevence one feels to a topic.
the people posting about bitches were not involved in the other thread so that one is wrong or "potty mouth".

where as the people not involved in calling some one a bitch do not see any difference. the difference is in perception. some people don't care what you say , others reading something take it differently than others. some find and profanity foul.

you cannot judge someone useing your value system.
I am not saying let anarchy rule the site i think we would all leave then.

as far as reading first that validates half my argument.

how long have the people with high posts been talking about bitches.
look at your history and look at yourselves as role models then make an attempt to asses blame.

ethnocentric judgements have caused wars.

think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

why does this interaction remind me more and more of Prof Irwin Corey having a conversation with himself??

now that man has command of the english language!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:54 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Frankly, I've found your posts here rather long-winded and a little egotistical, Mongo. Who made you the morality police?

I'm really not in the mood or have the inclination to respond to everything you have said but my first reaction when I saw your numbers was..."this guy has way too much time on his hands!" When you really look at the numbers look at the date of registration too...just numbers are only part of the history.

I liked Joe's post alot and I did the same thing...generally I would think people would read the boards and even the archives to get a feel of the site before joining in...of course that would not be the case with people who post a question or request. Most of the regular posters here have been around awhile and have a history...if you don't understand that history then maybe you should talk with one of the minor wizards or the wizard himself.

I also find it somewhat contradictory on your part, Mongo, to tell someone that you had been avoiding the site because of what "that" thread had become...yet the next day you post that you have no apologies to make for it. You did attempt to explain your position on that and I accepted it...then you turn around and post some bullshit about judgements and say goodby...then you come back and post again. Make up your mind.

I have no personal agenda against anyone and generally when someone pisses me off I let them know..so thats what I just did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm still semi-lost. That's OK, though..it's a comfortable place. Irwin Corey would be right at home.

All I know is we seem to have achieved controversial status and this is controversial topics so order has been restored, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:57 pm

right, pat. Image

mongo..i'm not kim, so i can't be exactly sure, but i'm pretty sure that it's not a certain word she had a problem with, as you say we say the word "bitch", and much more. it was a more overall tone of the thread that wasn't really a message board kind of thread, but much more like an aol teen chat board. arnie, as the moderator, suggested that people take it to blat if they just wanted to chat back and forth. that seemed like the thing to do...and would have avoided all this. there would be no bandwith issues, nor would people that aren't into jr. high locker room chatter have to deal with it. you say that the people that were bothered didn't post..no, they don't want to. i know, myself, and i imagine others figured that the people involved would take the hint from arnie and move to blat. obviously not. there was some mention that people would be censored in blat but that's not true and i'm quite sure, at least, some of the people involved know that. there are no words censored in blat other than pepsi and guiness. if some didn't know that, they know it now...and people that didn't post then are posting now about what they were thinking then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:09 pm

First, color yourself surprised, 'cause I didn't mention it to Dave. Sometimes I do, but to tell you the truth, this time I got wind from someone else myself. Why? 'Cause I had almost completely quit reading the boards too, except for a brief check every once in a while when someone mentioned something going on worth looking at. Too much stupid stuff and not enough time to bother going through it to find something worthwhile. Though I did find myself feeling a little bad - feeling like I was ignoring people or something, but....

Guess I just saw the latest round as a chance to get a little of that out there.

And as far as why one on-going jibe, like the "being a bitch" thing flies under the radar, and others don't - two simple factors. First, there's usually at least a little novelty or wittiness in the ones that doin't get old...not always, but usually. And second.......try taking a look sometime at how long the tolerated ones last. There will be a post or two from 5 or 6 people at most, and it goes away for a while. There's no attempt to fill pages and pages with the same old thing....."yeah"..."you too"..."mine's bigger"...."ha" That's the kind of stuff that chat and IM are made for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:18 pm

Good example Deb - Aol teen chat board. Yo're right - no particular word I have a problem with.....just the overall tone and direction.

It's funny, Mongo talks about cliques being the problem here....and I see that a little too, but not really the way he sees it. a lot of the problem has been the fact that these little back-and-forths, which would be better suited to a chat room or IM, are not very inclusive. They are only interesting to the people actually participating them, and even then, only right at the very moment they are being done. And the people who aren't using the boards like a chat room get really tired of wading through the stuff looking for something new.

Even when we had the ability to go back and read the chat from the night before, I seldom used it. If you weren't there and participating at the time, it usually ends up being confusing and uninteresting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:08 pm

the bullshit you are refering to fitzy was a biblical reference.

my intentions are never to harm, attack or offend someone fitzy.

i also am not asking for your acceptence fitzy do not read into something i said it is obvious to me i am being mis-understood.

i was speaking as far as wasted banwidth when i said i was going to lay off and what i was refering to as far as that thread was a chat type of environment. i will not apologize for what i said. i will explain myself so as people can understand.
ONCE AGAIN I MUST POINT OUT MY PRIMARY ARGUMENT. IF YOU WERE NOT INVOLVED DO NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS AS TO WHAT HAPPENED.

as far as my reference to cliques. i am mearly trying to say that of the entire web site only 44 people posted more than a hunderd times that to me can be defined as a clique.
i understand the people that have been here a while have developed their own system of joking. for the love of god thats half of my point. other people need to find their own boundries. they need to be able to experence things. yes maybe blat would have been a better forum, however it didn't happen there it happened here. should we judge and make people feel unwelcome or should a policy change happen.
should someone have the ability to cut people off when they turn something into a chat. of is it more appropriate for people to have half the information and attempt to asses the situation.

as far as the time on my hands if you look under search you can have the computer do the grouping it take that long to educate your self before you comment on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fitzy:

Mongo. Who made you the morality police?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am acualy argueing againt such a thing fitzy.

i am asking people to look at the whole picture. rather than judge someone for something they to can be guilty of.

if their is an undelying history it should have been properly delt with then.

and if you find me long winded and egotistical then don't read what i have written but don't judge me you don't know me.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by mongo71 on Oct 18, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hey, I hope no one is judging a whole person based on anything that happened on some thread or other. Well, except that Nathen is a pervert, but he admits to that freely.

About the only thing that I got out of all this is that Arnie said that it should go chat. If that's so, then that should have been the end of it, cause he's the moderator and his is the last word in here, other than Dave's. He doesn't like to come on all strong, unless he feels like it, so everyone should cut him a break and take his hint. If they don't, then he should just close down threads until such time as hint is taken. And there doesn't really have to be a huge big thing over any of it. But if I have that wrong and there does have to be a big thing, i can't really see how it could or should involve and judgements, other than judgements about posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pat:

Hey, I hope no one is judging a whole person based on anything that happened on some thread or other. Well, except that Nathen is a pervert, but he admits to that freely.

About the only thing that I got out of all this is that Arnie said that it should go chat. If that's so, then that should have been the end of it, cause he's the moderator and his is the last word in here, other than Dave's. He doesn't like to come on all strong, unless he feels like it, so everyone should cut him a break and take his hint. If they don't, then he should just close down threads until such time as hint is taken. And there doesn't really have to be a huge big thing over any of it. But if I have that wrong and there does have to be a big thing, i can't really see how it could or should involve and judgements, other than judgements about posting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANK YOU....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

can I get an Amen here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:55 pm

Arlo Fanatic

At least this thread is getting a workout. It's really been underused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mongo71:

ONCE AGAIN I MUST POINT OUT MY PRIMARY ARGUMENT. IF YOU WERE NOT INVOLVED DO NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS AS TO WHAT HAPPENED. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you didn't have to be posting on the thread to be involved. anyone that can read can see what happened...no assumptions are necessary.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
as far as my reference to cliques. i am mearly trying to say that of the entire web site only 44 people posted more than a hunderd times that to me can be defined as a clique. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so, the fact that other people decide not to post or only post a few times means there is a clique? do you assume to know why everyone else doesn't post a lot? are we to go to their homes and force them to post just to prove that it's okay?

Quote:
yes maybe blat would have been a better forum, however it didn't happen there it happened here. should we judge and make people feel unwelcome or should a policy change happen. should someone have the ability to cut people off when they turn something into a chat. of is it more appropriate for people to have half the information and attempt to asses the situation.

i think when the moderator of the forum shows up and suggests you take it to blat that should be a fairly good hint that you should do so. i don't see where that concept is so difficult to understand. also, this isn't just about you, mongo. there were other people involved, and some of them are well aware of this issue as it's been addressed before.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.