Forums » Group W Forums » Controverial Topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:17 pm

The W!zard

Ok, I generally try and stay out of these things - but when problems are brought to my attention I do look into them. I had been hearing a lot of rumblings about Mongo, and then Quinn, including suspicions that they may be the same person and Quinn was being really rude.

As a result of these reports, I checked into them. Mongo/Quinn had the same ISP, so I did a little more checking - of their Private Messages. Yes, I read them - but I will only do this when there is a perceived problem and I have enough suspicions myself.

You all know that I have a policy against having multiple identities on these forums. And then pretending that they are not the same person is even worse. If you can't stand behind your name and what you say, and just want to play games, you don't belong here. Also, anyone trying very hard to stir things up, and just plain being rude/crude/obnoixious is absolutely not tollerated.

In viewing Quinn's private messages, it was confirmed that they were indeed the same person. Normally, I would send a warning before banning someone from the boards, but given the number of offenses in this case, as well as what they were, I have chosen to ban Quinn/Mongo from the forums.

I hope this stands as a lesson to others who would like to follow in his footsteps... bullshit will not be tolerated, and will be promptly dealth with. To anyone who thinks I violated some sort of privacy, I'm sorry, but I don't see it that way. I respect the privacy of those who are respectfull of others. The only reason I would ever look at anyone's messages was if I had enough of a reason to... Even still, the private messages will only be seen by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Bye mongo. I'm really kind of sad about this whole thing. I really liked mongo, on the boards and in person. Most of us did, I think. Maybe it wasn't as mutual as we thought, though. I thought he was Quinn from the start..didn't get why he was bothering with it..seemed kind of pointless, but apparently it was to screw with people in some less than friendly way. Anyway..bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i spend twenty hours in bed...fixin' to die..get up to visit my mother and this shit happens...

truly amazing grace!!

jimminy, dave!! don't leave me to larry's devices...i get along with arnie..i can't stand larry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:07 pm

Site Admin

....yeah what Pat said...
too bad,,,,so sad,,,
ya gotta do what ya gotta do Dave
cya Mongo............

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by sparkydon on Oct 20, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:08 pm

doesn't appear that it was all that mutual, pat. i liked him, too...before all this. guess for some folks, playing games is more important than making friends. bye mongo...have a nice life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:15 pm

The W!zard

Please reserve judgement - more info has come in that seems to make sense... I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion here. I am still looking into this matter. I'm not ready to issue an appology, and there are also others involved in this who I have not mentioned as of yet, and am still deciding what to do about.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Dave on Oct 20, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:35 pm

The W!zard

Ok, the more and more I look at this, the more convinced I am that Mongo and Quinn are one in the same. For now, the ban will stand, and I stand behind it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:44 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thank you Dave!

and goodby mongo or whoever you are. maybe your next stop could be the aol boards...i hear they tolerate your brand of bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:41 am

Senior ArloNetizen

i feel like... well, confused - my suspicions did not make sense to me and i just keep feeling like i'm missing too many of the pieces to really understand. course, i don't need to understand, and i probably don't want the pieces.

i think it's cool you gave it another review, dave. and i know you're convinced, and that you made the decision you had to - but i still kinda hope that you're wrong. that's why i like the shade of this rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 2:00 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Wow. Don't know what I missed, but from the sound of it, I'm lucky to have missed it.

What's that about, anyway, that thing of placing game-playing above the making (and keeping) of friends? I've run into some of that myself in my day, is why I ask. It seems like a monumnetally pointless waste of time -- not to mention an odd arrangement of one's personal priorities.

Dave, for what it's worth and IMHO, this is a monumental job you've taken on, and it's much appreciated that you have. A Wizard's gotta do what a Wizard's gotta do.

And to paraphrase one of my favorite quotables, people are worthy of exactly as much respect as they show towards the least important person in their lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:44 am

Wow.

I have been a sysop since they were called sysops and not webmasters, and I understand what an incredible job Dave has just done here. I know the temptation is to push the "smite" key and be through with it. This is about the fairest and most thoughtful handling of a system policy violation that I've seen in quite a while.

However, I'm still ambivalent about Mongo/Quinn. I like Mongo a lot. Now, various intuitive things that sysops learn to notice after a while tell me with about a 75% confidence that he's indeed also Quinn, kind of a Hyde to his Jekyll or a Darth Vader to his Akita Skywalker. I have no idea why things got this far out of hand.

However, I'm sorry it didn't work out better. Bye, Mongo, my friend.

-Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:15 am

I blithely missed all that, never got to know Mongo, wasn't aware of Quinn...
I stand foursquare against bull shit & false personas' postings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 2:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumper:

I stand foursquare against.....false personas' postings<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:19 pm

The W!zard

It's nice to see people not just blindly following me on this... I made the decision that I thought was best for the site. I have seen things no one else here has, yet I will not share that information as I do feel that it would be wrong to do so.

Also, nothing is ever permanent... I always try to leave the door open for explanations, appologies, or whatever - although at this point it needs to go on via e-mail with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 5:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i'm not going to feel better til i state the following;

i'm not making excuses,,,and don't really give a shit..but, i feel that i wound mongo up over a period of time and got him to do theatre with a full gorilla costume on.

i only did this because i love, guerilla theater...and it was a damn good show!

i am sorry.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.