Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 11:32 am

Senior ArloNetizen

ARLONET RUSSIAN CD PROJECT UPDATE

I am in the midst of a schedule from hell these next few days, but will be sending out new updated tapes soon.

David LaMotte's CD's arrived this week...GREAT STUFF!!! He really appreciates the spirit of this project, he says. We really appreciate his same spirit of giving!!

Noah Paley's song is being held up due to the fact that our engineer is very ill, in the hospital with a serious heart infection stemming from dental work he recieved a few months ago. He has a slight heart murmer, which he was unaware of.
*** (It appears that if anyone has a heart murmer, they need to get an antibiotic beef up before any dental work or they are very suseptible to heart infection.)***
He was unaware of the heart murmer, and his heart became badly infected, now he needs open heart surgery to hopefully remove the infection. He is our Master CD engineer (plus the guitar player and lead singer of Molasses Creek Band), and we need him to be better soon. So, Blunderites, help do the Blundervibe thing!!! If you're into it, a get well message to his email would help cheer him up... molasses@beachlink.com
Thank you!

A small folk duo (sometimes trio) from Vancouver Canada called TWIRL has joined our project. They are very excited to be a part of this and have volunteered not only a song but some ground level help with production. This is a brother/sister team who live and travel all over the world on a sailboat.

I am redoing the music for Bumper's song "Miracles" and Silver Joe is working on a fine tune to add.
I have recieved an Arts Grant to help with the cost of the children's recording "This Little Light Of Mine" (which Duncan and I are doing together with our groups of kids).

This project is coming along wonderfully. Thank you, everybody...Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 7:40 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

a possibility.......

my oldest daughter and fellow Blunderdoer(fairygurl) has been waiting on Mary Chapin Carpenter all this week at the place where she works. Our kid at the workplace is going to ask Ms Carpenter if she'd like to help us out with a song. It's a longshot, but....who knows!
Keep those BlunderFingers crossed...Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:39 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Another band has joined in, expressing interest in helping out with a song....
The Bivins Brothers out of Greenville NC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:56 am

kitty, you are amazing!
Cant wait to hear "miracles"
I.m practicing "u kno who's song" getting better, Eddiiie, a 2 year old lasah apso doesnt run away when i sing it, now!
Any leads on cover art, yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:32 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Good for YOU, Birthday Boy Bumper!!!

No ideas on the cover yet. I think when we get the songs in an order of some kind the cover art will show itself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 4:44 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I just listened to Silver Joe's song....KILLER!!!! What a voice!!! Love it, Joe! Get the rest of the verses together. It's a "DO"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:16 pm

Kitty has anyone even considered the cover art or are you taking suggetion yet on this subject.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 9:59 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Taking suggestions, Becky...got any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:15 pm

Kitty ,I will think real hard and see what I can come up with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 9:34 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Now that the Church gigs are over, I'm back on this. I've had to put this project aside for a few weeks, now I'm back in gear. We've had just a couple problems with some recording capabilities since my main engineer is in the hospital recovering from brain surgery (just like a musician to want attention at the most inoppertune times...Image ) This has affected Noah's song and the kid's song. I am working on another way to fix this.
My goal is to have it to these people by Christmas. I have done somemore talking with "high up" military officials who have worked side by side with these very people. They told me something very interesting that I thought I'd pass on, just to give you a feel of how poor these people are.
In that particular region, it's a no frills life. It is very common for them to have sold even things like KIDNEYS to get money to eat. The officials think that upon arrival, the CD's and players we send would be sold by the families. After thinking about it, even that would be cool to me...thinking that perhaps our efforts would be turned into food...We're talking poverty like we have no idea of.
So let's get this show on the road!! Let's help feed some people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 2:18 am

Senior ArloNetizen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kittywest:

... My goal is to have it to these people by Christmas. ...

... something very interesting that I thought I'd pass on, just to give you a feel of how poor these people are.
In that particular region, it's a no frills life. It is very common for them to have sold even things like KIDNEYS to get money to eat. The officials think that upon arrival, the CD's and players we send would be sold by the families. After thinking about it, even that would be cool to me...thinking that perhaps our efforts would be turned into food...We're talking poverty like we have no idea of.
So let's get this show on the road!! Let's help feed some people!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since no one asked me what I think about any of this either, I figure you're all just dying to be edified on the subject, so I won't be shy about coming right out and telling you ...

First thing is, it seems to me that a gift with strings attached isn't much of a gift at all, so whatever use is made of any gift should be solely at the discretion of the recipient.

Secondly, if this is going to an area where food is harder to come by than kidneys and money, it might be a nice gesture to include some kind of a care package in the package, if that is at all possible. You know: Food people can eat, that the locals will know what to do with. Maybe a couple of staples that are scarce there but plentiful here, like sugar, coffee, powdered (or condensed, or sweetened condensed) milk, mustard, vinegar. A rare treat or two, like a canned ham, a bottle of vodka, canned and/or dried fruits, chocolate, canned sardines, nuts. The makings IOW, or at least the basics, of a small Christmas feast. Or else maybe a new pair of jeans, a jean jacket, or a pair of sneakers.

Just some extra little thing that is germane to where they're at, if you catch my drift. As marketable as CDs and players may be, you still have to reach the market for them in order to sell them. It doesn't sound like there's much of a local market for them where they're going, and it's possible that not all the recipients will be able to get, or even know how or where to get, the best price -- should they decide they want to (or have to) sell these things instead of their own kidneys, in order to put food on the table for the babies.

The other thing I'm wondering is how is all this supposed to get to where it's supposed to be? How safe and reliable is the proposed method of transport and distribution? All kinds of stuff gets lost going through customs and the international mails, for lots of reasons. Either because the paperwork wasn't done right, or the contents weren't clearly marked on the outside, or the mailing materials ripped open, or ... Anyway, so what's the safest way of getting something from here to there these days?

So far that's what I've been thinking about all this, anyway. I'll let you know if I think of any more stuff about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 4:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

idea: You could sell the CD's to us blunderites. I'm sure there is a market for it right here on this site! Image The proceeds could either go to Arlos church or the Russians. Whichever ya'll want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 5:09 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Muffy, I plan on having stuff delivered by the American Red Cross as a humanitarian gesture.
There were 118 crew members on that sub...so that would make at least 118 care something-or others....I think in some families we might want to include double because of, say, wife and then parents...

Cheryl, I've promised recording artists that none of these CD's would be sold. Selling would put this effort into a whole other ballgame...copywrites,etc. So, we'll just keep it simple. HOWEVER, we are free to use the stuff we've written together later for an arlonet CD for Guthrie Center Fundraiser purposes if we want (I'd like to see that happen..)

The military people I've talked to say that anything and everything get's sold on the black market...guess it must be easy to do there. If they sell these things,that's okay with me. like muffy said, a gift is a gift...no strings. Them selling their own gifts is not like us selling a product...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 5:14 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Oh, I'm sure they'd appreciate the music (and the players) at least almost as much as they would the food. I think it would be nice to find some way of getting a bit of both to them, is all. (I daresay not too many of them are likely to own CD players already, but then I haven't been to Russia, so I don't know for absolutely certain. What I do know for absolutely certain is that people everywhere love music. Some would even say that music is as necessary to living as are eating and breathing, and I can't say I'd be inclined to disagree.)

I don't see why the rest of us should be deprived of the music, though. I definitely agree with Cheryl that it would be pretty nice to make that CD available Stateside -- and not only to Blunderites, neither. I think that anyone who wants to buy one should be allowed to do so, is what I think. What with this being a free country and all.

Sigh. I know that I really, really, <u>really</u> loath (and detest) poverty (and hunger, and despair). I just plain don't like 'em, is all. Not even a little tiny bit. Image Image Of course, I'm not much of a fan of tragedy or loss. Or of despair.

And were it not for music, those things would be even more unbearable than they already are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 5:47 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Glad to hear that it's going through the Red Cross. It sounds like a good way to get it where it's going. We would always get empty packages in Mexico when friends would send us stuff from the US. That was a long time ago, and we were living in a poor area. Places where poverty and want are widespread tend to spawn what we called crimes of poverty. No one wanted to hurt anyone else, but the mailman or whoever was in pretty bad shape themselves.

Yes, I've been told there's a huge black market there too -- but the black market is everywhere, and is much like any market anywhere, in many ways. Also, people tend to be like other people everywhere are. We tend to mostly know and do business with others in our own socio-economic group, and in our own geographical area. Breaking out of those confines can be difficult, and doing so puts us into unfamiliar and unknown territory.

Keeping it simple is the best way to make anything actually happen. This is true. I agree absolutely. Can't argue it.

Fact is, I'm not arguing anything at all. Really. These are the things that came to my mind that I thought about after reading your post, Kitty. I don't claim to their being any more than that. This is your baby however, so pleasedo it however it works to do it for you.

I'll make suggestions too, though. OK? Can I? Huh? Huh? Can I? Image

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by muffy on Oct 12, 2000 ---</FONT></center>