Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 7:38 am

Arlo Fanatic

Wow, didn't realize it couldn't be sold. Forgot about all that copyright stuff. Is there a way to make the music available for those of us who want to hear it to be able to hear it? Thanks! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 7:11 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Update...
The arts council has given me some small grant monies to work with the "Kids At Risk" program here, these particular kids will be part of one of the kid songs on the Russian CD. The money I get from this is intended to help pay for the blank CD's.
I has class with them this afternoon...about 15 of them. They were increadable...really into the project. They sat quietly and asked good questions and had wonderful input. They "get it"...what this is all about and are putting their all into helping. Great kids, really energized me.
In case you aren't aware of what we'll be doing, I will record these kids singing "This Little Light of Mine" on 4 track, then send it to Duncan in Nova Scotia. He will dump those 4 tracks onto his 8 track, and record 4 tracks of HIS kids there, put them together and we will have a choir of sorts. The children are excited about having their voices blended with the voices of kids from another country, to be sent to kids from yet ANOTHER country. They "GET" the big picture of it all, and that has given me such a lift!!!
This particular process should take about a month.

***I will adress the other questions and comments in a little bit...****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 10:39 am

Senior ArloNetizen

A Review

In late August, when news of the Kursk hit the airwaves, a topic was posted by Starchild, encouraging us all to try to help by sending intense good Blunder vibes...which we know to be strong and powerful.
For a group of days, many people posted their thoughts and concerns concerning this situation. As I participated, watched and listened, it occurred to me that we, in general, are drawn into to a news drama, only to drop it as quickly as news attention drifts to another subject.
All the thoughts transmitted on this particular post (with the exception of one) were kind, caring and concerned. I wished that those thoughts could somehow be actively conveyed to the families of the crew. Being a musician, the idea of the CD came to mind. I wished to follow through with an active ground level gesture.
I began to write a song and invited anyone interested to join with me. At first, many people gave reasons why they couldn't posibly be involved..."I'm not a musician", "I'm not a writer", "I'm not a stage person", etc, for example. So, I tried to point out that participation could be on many levels...there is much to do in the making of a CD, even with all the helpful technology of today. Graphics, Cover work, language translation, finding the best way to deliver the CD's, how to cover cost...that's the tip of the iceburg.
It wasn't long before a lot of you did begin to offer help, with lyrics and thought visuals.
Rbrown, Bumper, and Silver Joe jumped right in with some wonderful lyrics which I translated into a musical format. SilverJoe sent me a fine song he wrote. Nathen suggested some scenerio ideas which helped me finish the one song I was working on. Larry had some thoughtful input and Starchild and fitzy offered enthusiastic morale support. I contacted some of my friends who already have songs recorded, seeing if they would donate a song to the project. One of the points I made with them was that this is a humanitarian gesture, with no intent of using any material for sales or profit. I would find a way to cover costs of the engineering of the project. There would be no worry of songs being taken advantage of for profit. There would only be enough CD's made to give one to each crew member family and one to each person who helped out.
Starchild got in touch with her friend David LaMotte, who sent me his CD's and said to use whatever we thought would be appropriate. Duncan, a new guy on the arlonet scene at the time, immediately offered a song of his, Noah Paley gave us "first dibs" on a song that is earmarked for his next CD. I am also adding 2 of my previously recorded songs.
For we working musicians, these recordings are part of our income. However, I have always considered the gift of music that I was given to be a blessing and something to be given to all people. I have never let the lack of money keep someone from having any of my CD's or even performances. (I think that most of us feel that way.)
This project is not about money. It's about translating our heart-feelings of love to people who are hurting. An embrace through song. It is extremely important to me that it stays pure and and not colored by other adgendas, keeping in mind that some things cannot be bought. The musicians who offered their own recorded music offered it for this one purpose.
All Blunderites have been invited to pitch in on any level, and as I have already stated, being a part of this, you would have your own copy of the finished CD.
Cheryl, you have expressed interest time and again, siting your many instruments and ability to play them. I have answered you each time and then some, telling you to send me your address and I'd send you a copy of what we have and you can go from there with input. But you have never followed up on this.
Muffy, if you have technical abilities, I could use your help. That would get you a copy of the CD.
As far as the fundraiser idea, I explained in depth (to Cheryl on post) that although THIS project is not for fundraising, the songs we have written here on site can be used later for a Guthrie Center fundraiser on another CD. I am very into that. There is a huge amount of Blunderite talent lurking behind this arlonet screen, and I'd LOVE to see us as a group help to give back to our favorite music-giver (Arlo) by using these talents to help raise money for the Church. I have already begun to do brainstorming on that, and starchild has suggested a cover (Judy's Church Photo), which sounds good to me.
But, the Russian CD is not for sale. It is a labor of love. Let's not confuse the issue.
If you want to help, please do. Help is needed. If you want a CD...then help. It's as simple as that. And thank you so much to all of you who are involved so far. This is something you will be able to hold in your hand later and realize from it that your thoughts and individual efforts DO make a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 3:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Keep Up the good work Image

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Nathen on Oct 13, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 4:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sorry I haven't had the chance to respond yet. Been so busy, drs. appt. different web stuff going on but hope to respond soon. Fear not, I haven't forgotten. Image & Good luck witht eh project! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 12:17 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Just tell me what kind of technical help you need, Kitty. If it's something I know how to do, and can do (given my newfangled and ever shifting set of limitations) I'll be happy to volunteer some of my time doing whatever. (Also if it's something I don't know how to do, at least I'll tell you that I don't know how to do it, instead of charging ahead and doing it all wrong ... Image) As I think I said before, I'm willing to help where I can. I have a few skills and some modest gifts that I'm more than happy to share where and when I can. I try not to impose my help on anyone, either.

I'm afraid I hadn't followed all the posts in the thread, and had thus missed (or just plain forgotten) some of what you'd said earlier. I've checked in from time to time though, and watched its progress a bit through the reports. More recently (as you may have noticed), I have been giving the subject much thought (or closer attention), and checking in to the thread more often. That's part of my 'focusing in' process, I suppose. I'm trying to get up to speed on this.

When I spoke of the possibility of making the CDs available to any interested parties, I wasn't thinking fundraiser, let alone profits. I just thought that other people might like to have the opportunity of hearing the music. As far as monies go, I suppose I was seeing all proceeds going to the families of the lost submariners.

In any case, if you're going to talk about something that is plentiful here and not so there, CD's would likely be on the list, I bet. BTW Image And I bet there's a huge demand for them. Although of course, not being from there, I hesitate to make assumption

As far as the food thing goes, it was an image that flashed through my head -- which is how I see and do a lot of what I see and do. It's not a plan as such though, or a publicity stunt. It may not even have to do with your project, Kitty, but the rumblings from a quest of my own.

Creative spillover again is what I bet it is. Image Curses! Either that or I've started sleep typing again.

It's just the image of somehow sending a little bit extra to make it Christmas somewhere. It doesn't mean anything. It just came to mind along with the rest of the stuff I thought about.

Mostly what came to mind was to send something that would usually only be found on the black market, if at all, and that would be very easy to trade with as well.

I don't think I must've expressed the idea very well the first time around maybe, or what the essence of it was.

See, it may or may not even tie in at all with what you're doing -- it's something that came to mind while I was thinking about your posts, Kitty.

What I was thinking could be done would mean anything from a goodies basket for each individual, to adding one different item per recipient, to the inclusion of one or two of the items to each recipient. (It could mean a five pound bag of sugar per household. Or one household getting a five lb bag of sugar, another a two lb. bag of coffee, another maybe a gallon of cider vinegar, and so on. The other possibility that I saw was that maybe each got a treat you could eat: One household might get a really nice bread and a good canned ham with a nice mustard, maybe. Or a chunk of nice cheese instead of the ham.

Or maybe a nice fruitcake instead ... Image ...

Keep up the good work! Onward! Whaddaya' need me to do, lady?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Muffy save the fruitcake for the 'Holidays'. It's nice to see people still posting. Kitty just keep us posted. We met, you know my limitations, but that's the best thing. To have a CD to hold, touch, smell. To remember, if you are listening, it meant somebody cared. Let us know, what you need (a few bucks, ect.) everyone can own one, and listen for themselves. I wouldn't expect one, for some words I wrote down. I don't underestimate anyone's contributions. I love ALL the songs equally. (Well, I love the children singing is my favorite). Don't mean to confuse you.

*Carry on*

*Muffy, remember me around the holidays. I love fruitcake!!!Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 12:19 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Thank you , you guys.
This project is still up and running. I worked on some kid recording today with a group of little ones, doing inital recording stuff. It's gonna be sweet...especially when Duncan's kids add on thier parts.
I got some great news from Silver Joe today.
He's really been active on this project. He has a wonderful song in the works, and I am gonna insist that he sings it...his voice is really something to hear!
Also, he's got an artist working on the CD cover AND found a Russian family to help with the translations.
I have been extra busy for the last month and haven't been able to get as much done as I've wanted to. We've got a good pile of songs though,and now a cover started.
Coming right along!

Don't know if you all heard about the body retreval today...a note found in one of the sailor's pockets saying that there were a bunch alive after the explosion....
I think this CD will mean a lot to these people..wether they keep it or sell it or whatever. Just for them to know that there were others out there who care will be helpful.
Muffy....still there? still want to jump in?

Thanks Rob...you of course will have your own
CD to hold and remember that effort, step by step really does count!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2000 2:40 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Making progress here....
I've done part of the little kid recording and when I get it formatted right,it will be sent to Duncan for his kid's to add their voices.

Silverjoe (did you know he has a washburn?) has found a group of Russians who have translated "Lifting", and they are considering having their church choir sing some of the song. I really hope that they agree to do just that...it would be SO powerful!
The recording of Noah Paley's song is still behind because the studio engineer had to have brain surgery...and as soon as he recover's enough from that he'll have to have open heart surgery. (All due to dental work done, not knowing he had a heart murmer, which infected the heart.)
But everything is coming along...

Thanks Joe, you're really a big help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:18 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Just to let you know this is still a happening thing....
MAKING WAY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:23 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Still working on this.......
Taking longer than I hoped because survival stuff has had to come first for awhile...BUT...progress is being made.
Silverjoe tells me that a Russian choir where he lives is rearranging "Lifting" to fit more in with Russian Culture. I think they are going to sing it. That is WAY cool!!!
If you would, keep us updated, Joe...Thanks! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 1:00 pm

ArloNetizen

Update ..I seen the cover art work aptempt last night ...its not done yet ..its an ocean seen ..with the sun reflecting on the water ... Re :The Russan people who`s church is doing the translation ..they have informed me they are working on it ..some times words dont translate one to one ..the whole thought has to be expressed ..for the full impact of the meaning to get inside the human heart...some day soon all the loose ends will come togather ....maby the world will be just a little bit better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2000 11:27 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

This really is neat.
This process takes some time even in the best of situations when an artist or group has lots of money to work with, etc. But here we are, a group of people all over the country, writing stuff together, and some of you have never done this before.
Joe has been such a big help working with these particular Russian folks and the artist. This will be a very touching partof the CD.
It won't be ready for Christmas, but I am thinking that their view of Christmas are probably different from ours anyway. When it gets there it will be the right time!
Thank you Joe for all this help.
This is going to be a really nice to have been part of. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

Here's an idea for your CD for the RUSSIANS (If it's not Russian enough, my apologies in advance). Mike & I heard HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN on the radio today & I then rememebered that I had read somewhere that you can sing the words of AMAZING GRACE to the tune of House. The idea occured to me that ya'll could have someone sing AMAZING GRACE to the tune of HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN on the record. Tha would be so cool since Arlo does both songs. & The minor tones might fit in well with Russian stuff... Feel free to use my idea! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 11:55 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks, Cheryl....I have performed Amazing Grace like that before...it's a neat twist to the song! Thanks for the suggestion!

We have enough songs for the CD now, though, and now I'm getting ready to start on the mastering of it all....have to wait for the Russian Choir to do their thing and Joe to get his song ready to record.
It's gonna be a nice CD.