Forums » Group W Forums » Moose Friends Network

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am

Senior ArloNetizen

OK, lol. I don't have any idea where to put this so it's going here and mods can move it to somewhere else if ya want.

Today at church, the priest asked us if anyone knew who Arlo Guthrie was. My mouth probably hit the floor, then I grinned. :D A bunch of people must have waved their hands and they were in the section across from me so he didn't see me. I was waving like mad. Anyway, he asked if a particular person was familiar with the song, Alice's Restaurant, then proceeded to tell the story of Arlo and his friends taking the garbage to the town dump on Thanksgiving, only to find it was closed.

After he explained that, he said the same thing happened to him when he was about 16 years old, only it was on Christmas day and his dad had told him to clean out the garage. He did, then was told to take it to the dump so when he did, of course he found it was closed. He did the same thing and threw it over a hill where there was other garbage and such, down below, thrown there by others. He got caught and was very embarrassed. i guess he wound up in court, too, and he had to go pick it all back up and throw it wherever the dump was. I guess that was the day after or the next time the dump was open.

Now this priest is probably about 50 or 55 years old so maybe he was doing this because of the movie. I don't know. But he said he had to pick up garbage all up and down the road and all over the highways. LOL. I guess they gave him community service as his punishment.

When mass was over, I went out to the greeting area where he was and asked him if he was going to see Arlo and he told me he's seen Arlo in concert many times. I told him Arlo was going to be here in town in November and his eyes lit up so maybe he will be at the concert, too. He had 100s of people to talk to so we moved on. I hope he can go. He's a really cool priest! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That is so cool! 55 is young to me now. :)

Last edited by Cheryl Harrell on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

:D I'm really not sure of his age. I am just going by what he looks like and that's my guess. And, yea, 55 is young, now. LOL :)