Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:39 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
Yes, it seems that the rats are leaving the sinking ship. Maybe we should go down there en masse armed with belaying pins and smack them in their little feet to hasten the process? I mean if it works with Giant Clams, why not Neo-Cons? :roll:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:49 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
Did ya ever notice how much the Bush administration resembles "The Sopranos"? I mean they are loyal to each other, but to no higher ideal. The code of the "made" wiseguys is you are loyal to your guys, until it's time to throw them under the bus.They make their owns rules and live in their own subculture.They are in very real terms a family business. The morals and ideals that they espouse have decent intelligent folks shaking their heads in disbelief.......BUT...it makes GREAT television. :roll:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 pm
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Jan 12, 2007
Posts: 349
Location: france
Thanks for these words, adg. Hope a lot of people, everywhere, will think about that, because it's true all over the world.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:29 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Posts: 275
Location: Southborough, Massachusetts
I can think of a few folks who might hate the president.....Cindy Sheehan and the parents who lost kids defending ??????(why are we there). Not that politician's don't do the "projecting" of their self hatred as Arlo mentioned. Ego defenses are more or less part of everyone's playbook to some degree or another, consiously or otherwise proportionate to a persons maturity and personal growth. (I always thought politicians acted like babies mostly)
Look at the dude from South Dakota all over the news in the last few days. That guy's such a liar and a phony, though the law of karma works....he has a boatload of humiliation in his front view. The hipocracy coming out of DC is so thick it's a gaseous form....they are all lost in the fog. I think MIT should develop a robotic politician that can olny be programed to respond to the constitution and the bill of rights or the will of a populist majority.

Man, Arlo that's some coffee !! How bigs your cup ?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:59 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
I have worked as the coffee guy at the Guthrie Center, and have filled Arlo's pre-show coffee cup. It holds about a gallon. :D

Hating Bush? It's tempting, as much I try not to hate. I know I hate what he does and much of what he truely stands for, not what he states he stands for. The words "disgust","contempt", "incompetent" , "untrustworthy", "
dishonest", "pedestrian", "moronic" and "misguided" sure do come to mind when I think about this man and what he does. I mean it might be close to hate, but I'd hate to admit that. :x


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:35 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Posts: 1058
Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
Cheryl Harrell wrote:
Wow pretty interesting. Drink more coffee so we can read more of your views... :)


adg, do you have a chemical ingredient from over the pole you sneak into your coffee? I could spare some in my coffee every morning to express my political views every day. Or does Folger's make a hydroweed rich blend coffee especially for you?...Maybe you can sell that the church shows :)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:50 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 1778
Location: Axachusetts of New New England
There is a great book I'm half through, by Thom Hartmann, who is on Air America from 12 to 3 during the week. I haven't heard him yet, but the book was sent from my oldest sister who siad I stream him by my Unionist ways. Oh ya, I had to come back and edit this post to tell you the name of the book, "Screwed, the undeclared war on the middleclss.
It says in the book, that Corperations, and I guess Unions have no rights. They are not living breathing people, as it seems many of my family seem to believe. I'm #9 of 10, or #11 too, if you count my parents. That is right #9 or #11 and proud of it.
America's ways, was due for 9/11 as Jackson Browne sang about in the 1980's. I think in "Lives in the Balance."
Corperations have privelidges, like they tell me I need to drive...guess
Corperations do not have rights as living breathing people have. Even iof those people come from down south to keep from starving.-illegal or legal.
But Teddy Roselvent (I can't speell that name) made a law, which is still on the books today. It is illegal for corperations to give money to any politician.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:36 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Aug 25, 1999
Posts: 1274
Location: Herndon, Virginia
We don't use Folger's at the church!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:34 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
Now Larry..................if your gonna keep the Aussies out....well, being as I am an AmerAussie does that mean you're only gonna let my FRONTHALF into the country??? :? :wink: I've got a passport for each end.

Good on ya adg.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:07 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
Turn you volume way up for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1O01ounXaA


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:45 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
That is the original and the best. Off Johns 1986 Whispering Jack album.

Here's another one to get us inspired!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDCJkxohKg


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:21 am
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 1230
Images: 42
Location: Housatonic, MA
Todays Christian coalition is for the most part led by religious and political leaders who share more than a few ideas. These are promoted as Christian values in origin, but are they? Family Values, Establishing Laws to restrict personal Freedom and Choices about civil unions, marriage, abortions, medical preferences, and all kinds of other activities including Defending the State against terrorism. We've been led to associate these ideas as based in Christianity with links to Judaism - Based on Biblical Teachings. Well, there no arguing that.

There is plenty of discussion in the Bible about many of these things.

Family Values (keeping the traditional family rituals etc.)
Jesus' comment on Family Values - "Leave the dead to bury themselves."

Laws (the regulation of human interchange)
Jesus' comment on Law - "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

Defending The State (against enemies foreign and domestic)
The crowd had to choose between Jesus and the defender of the state, the insurrectionist, Barrabas as one could be set free. They yelled for Barrabas and Jesus' fate was sealed.

When someone starts yelling about family values, the regulation of human conduct, and the protection of the country, remember to ask yourself whether or not you are yelling for Barrabas, or would you go against the interests of the crowd, the law-makers and religious leaders and plead for the son of man?

adg (another good cup)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:20 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
The crowd had to choose between Jesus and the defender of the state, the insurrectionist, Barrabas as one could be set free. They yelled for Barrabas and Jesus' fate was sealed.


What is the definition of state. Does Jesus represent the individual (in that if all individuals take heed to his call, then the world would sort itself out)? There is a lot to be said of leading by action (walking the walk, talking the talk). However, it often there is far to many influential people that follow the path of fear and hatred for postive example alone to make an impact. But it is the action and force of communities (the Chritian Coalition or the Taliban or the Executive Branch) that define agenda's. I personally struggle with the fact that the vocal and effective communities remain those that I believe would fail the test in adg's post and sacrifice the future in an attempt to maintain the past. Not because they are evil but because they are scared. I think fear is far to prominent an influence on our future.
It is just babbling


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:24 pm
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 1230
Images: 42
Location: Housatonic, MA
Hahaha Let's not over-think it. For the sake of the argument it doesn't matter who's who, or what's what. It's not like Jesus is running for president in either party. "You cannot serve God and Mammon (wealth)" are the important words for us.

adg


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:36 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
I think about it alot
I guess i feel i played the individual to long! it is my own damn fault!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group