Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: One Flu Over The PigBird
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:57 pm

The Folkslinger

[edited to correct things]

The last leg on 'The Lost World Tour' is about to get underway. Meanwhile, my bike is coming out of the shop and the weather is about as good as it gets. Not even pigbird flu can stop me from rolling around the hills of Western Massachusetts. I hope I get a few days in of visiting friends and family in the area. I'm not the least concerned or falling victim to the hype and outrageous assertions being made by the media concerning pigbird flu.

If, however you are not like me, and are concerned, there are a few things to consider. Pigbird flu is not something that seems to be able to develop in the wild. With strains of swine flu and bird flu in the latest variation, it seems almost certain to me that this is a man-made variety. This new version has never ever been seen in pigs, birds or people before. That alone would not make it any less dangerous. It just points to someone playing with 'military chemistry' again.

The thing that does concern me is that most people will fall for the Tamiflu solution which by most reports I've seen is far more dangerous than the pigbird flu itself. I'm taking this very seriously, that's why I posted this. I could stand to be corrected on much of what I write... I usually am. I was probably wrong to call Tamiflu a vaccine for example. But, having said that, it doesn't make it any less dangerous. My docs are telling me that Tamiflu lowers your body temperature, like aspirin and motrin, allowing viruses to grow more rapidly. You get temporary relief, then the infection is often worse with viral pneumonia.

My bet is that most people who have died as a result of this latest episode will have died from complications related to flu - viral pneumonia.

I don't have the flu. I'm fine :)

Finally, there's no evidence to suggest that Tamiflu will actually protect you from getting this never-seen-before version of the flu! At best, it may shorten the time you have to deal with flu by about a day. A person who has taken Tamiflu may also get a second infection when they come into contact with someone with the actual pigbird flu, and this could be a very dangerous event.

If you are nervous or concerned about this stuff, read what you can, do your own research and don't believe everything you hear (even from me). But for heaven's sake, know what it is you're inviting by getting flu shots. Don't be fooled into doing something that could leave you seriously paralyzed, dead or both. We need everyone we got around here.

Lots of love - Ride well...
adg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

You can say that again Arlo. I got a flu shot once. Had 1/2 a cold all one winter. Never get another. For sure.

*Whatever doesn't kill you, will make you stronger. I'm living proof. :!:

Peace out/Rb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I never get flu shots. I did once and I think it made me sick. Mercury scares hell out of me. Now that I have 2 new grandaughters, I'm glad my daughter is carefully insisting on all those baby vaccines that are mercury free. I was surprised to learn that they can be hard to find in some cases.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh man, so sorry you have the flu. Mike just wouldn't believe it if he were here. Sure hope you feel better soon. Prayers just said for ya. Had no idea about the flu vaccines. I always get them cuz they say we diabetics need them. So far no flu yet. Hang in there babe & enjoy your motorcycle. See ya in May. Boy do I need a show bad. Love to you & get well soon...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

Old boring methods still work for preventing casual exposure to flu virus. You can't do much about someone coughing or sneezing in your face, but you can avoid picking it up by washing your hands ( a full 20 seconds with soap) and keeping your hands off your face. If you've been out in public and touched shopping carts, door handles, stair rails, anything else someone else may have touched with bare hands, wash as soon as you get home, or keep hand sanitizer in your purse or car so you don't contaminate surfaces in there. All it takes is someone casually wiping their nose, sticking a finger in their mouth, coughing, whatever, to transfer their germs to a surface you're going to touch. You can also transfer virus into yourself by rubbing your eyes with a contaminated hand, so don't do that, either!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am

Arlo Fanatic

The schools here were closed last night. My daughter was 45 minutes out of town in the high school band charter bus heading for Orlando for the band trip when the city system cancelled all out of state trips and turned them around. I'm leaving for work shortly with family hanging on to my legs. With the chemo, my immune system is way down so it won't take a flying pig to start the fire (bad mixed metaphor - too early to think creative). On the other hand, people got to be paid.

I dunno, Arlo, you might want to take it just a little more seriously. I manage a group that writes health software to CDC standards so I work with the CDC. Those are serious cats and a level 5 is not something they declare trivially. How bad is the flu? I don't know. If this really is the N1H1 variant, it is a hard flu. The elderly, health-impaired, etc., do need to take precautions but as Sue points out, they are the usual smart ones. When a virus jumps species like that, it mutates so no, no one has seen it before. That's they call it a variant. But they do know what the strain is and the probable source so I think you're misleading yourself. I'd be more curious about the fly by in DC. I don't buy that story.

1976 was tough on the nightclub business as I recall.

That said, a youngster like yourself has nothing to fear out on the motorcycle unless a sneezing pickle is coming at you in the other lane.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:38 am

The Folkslinger

I edited my earlier post.... I do take this seriously. I take everything seriously. I take humor seriously - seriously. :)

I'm not too worried about the fly over... yet.

adg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:51 am

Arlo Fanatic

I take humor seriously too! Which is why I am always and never serious. Nothing intrigues me more than a paradox! :D
Having said that, more proof that the world is nuts:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090430/ap_ ... c_measures

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

People will overreact. I'm watching people wearing masks that are only good for house painting and mowing the lawn. But I'm at work and so are my super hero companions. The question I have is just how bad or intense the flu is. I'm told by friends of friends it isn't worse than other flu except there is anomalous intensity with young adults. Even 1918 as bad as that was didn't rake everyone but did have the same anomaly that it seemed to hit the young healthy harder.

Not a great week to be opening a movie blockbuster or an arena tour.

Level 5 is not "Grodzilla!!". It is a protocol signal to the health organizations that he has been spotted in Tokyo Bay and appears to have 104 octane breath. IOW, it tells them to stock supplies, get people off leave, cancel unneccesary travel, yadda. IOW, it is a Ready Set signal.

All it means to us is stock up on oinkment and leave offerings the Mothra shrine.

BTW: on a fun note, the first of the four IrishSpace episodes is up at YouTube. The last one was one scene. I put the first six scenes in one episode (limit 10 minutes at YouTube). The bad news is the story starts with a pandemic after an asteroid strike in the Amazon rain forest. Ok, it's hokey, but an Irish Space launch facility in the middle of Tralee is a stretch anyway. After we delivered the animation, the first thing the Deputy Prime Minister said was, "The museum is in the middle of the village. Just like you Americans to tear it all down just to put in new concrete." The Leaving Earth scene is nice because the narrator's native Irish accent is so effective. That is O'Riada's MnaHairrean we're playing for the sound track and a bit of Sony Vegas gimmickry in the image composites. It was the money scene for getting donations for the Jeanie Johnston Project which finally did sail to America a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1b5wajK5Bk

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am

Arlo Fanatic

Joe Biden's words of caution notwithstanding, we're braving the airplane-cabin DANGER ZONE on Saturday and Monday (sanitizer handy, wipes handy for any surfaces we must touch, saline gel for nose, touching nobody else, no hands to our faces). Why, you may ask? Somebody (not Arnie) had extra tickets, we had enough airline miles to do it and a place to stay, and

WE"RE GOING TO PETE'S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!!! Yippee!

Yes, I'm at-risk person. But heck, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. Many thanks to those who were encouraging about changing our Fall Revival reservations. Not only was that accomplished, but apparently the positive vibes leaked over into this opportunity. We flew to see Arlo in November 2001; people said we were crazy, we'd die in an airline hijacking. Mainly I remember that the plane had LOTS of room for a change.

I will take precautions, but I will not let them make me afraid.

Last edited by Ceashel on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

We're still praying for ya hon. You get well soon & stay safe.

So glad Ceashel can go see Arlo & was able to get the church shows to work out. Sounds like fun! Have a great time which I know you will...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks, Cheryl. And please note: ADG is NOT sick. He edited his post to make that clear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
My docs are telling me that Tamiflu lowers your body temperature, like aspirin and motrin, allowing viruses to grow more rapidly. You get temporary relief, then the infection is often worse with viral pneumonia.

It's a shame that so many people still think of a fever as THE problem... it's there for a reason. Your doc's right (and I don't like too many docs anymore)... the fever is there to fight off the infection. By lowering your temp, you're lowering your body's ability to fight off infections. ONLY if you are in a lot of pain from the fever (headache, muscle pain) should you take something... and only take the smallest dose to make yourself comfortable... then let the fever do its job. Drink lots of water.

And Shelley/Jay... have a great time (maybe you'll have plenty of room on the plane to stretch out!).

Sheesh, we are SO scared of everything! A friend told me recently that she no longer drinks hot tea because it can burn your throat and cause cancer... I told her that LIVING causes death. None of us are getting out of here alive, so we may as well LIVE while we can.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

This is one of those cases where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'm a big tea drinker so the headline on the study involved did catch my interest. I googled and learned that the study in question was done on people in a particular province in Iran where there is a high rate of esophageal cancer, who drink their tea at a really high temperature -- much hotter than the temperature at which I (or most people in the US) would ever drink my tea. For those of us who steep tea 5 minutes (and especially if we add milk/cream), the tea would never be near the temperature of the tea sipped by the people in the study -- their tea was at 158 F and ours is generally at a much lower temperature; they also drink a liter or more of tea every day. You know, it just goes to show you, "moderation in all things"...so your friend can drink hot tea; she just shouldn't drink tea that is so hot she burns her throat, on a regular basis. Also, she should not drive with hot tea between her legs...and obviously she should wash her hands and cover her mouth when coughing (to get back to the topic at hand).

An article on tea is at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29912977/

Terrie wrote:
Sheesh, we are SO scared of everything! A friend told me recently that she no longer drinks hot tea because it can burn your throat and cause cancer... I told her that LIVING causes death. None of us are getting out of here alive, so we may as well LIVE while we can.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't know......I think those people that worry about tea might be smoking it and not drinking it? :? :wink: