Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: ARLO.NET TURNS 25
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:40 am

The Folkslinger

Although it's hard to pinpoint and exact date, May is probably the month where 25 years ago Dave created arlo.net. It moved from the old board system (which still exists) to its own thing. For the next 25 years arlo.net has been the source of reliable information with everything concerning what we do, what's going on, what we'd like to do, and what everyone thinks about all that. It has also been a forum for things that are important to you individually. arlo.net became our face to the world through the internet.

Our volunteer monitors, past and present have tried their best to insure that our web pages remained free of advertising, self-promotional material and BS in general. They've done a great job. The end result of all this is that our presence on the web has gathered a historic collection of thoughts, comments and ideas. It's especially valuable because it's been around since the very beginning.

Over the years and decades I've been adding and correcting the dates in our schedule. It is the single most comprehensive collection of everything we've done, and everywhere we've been, that exists anywhere. I'm still adding things (as I discover them) that go back to the very start of my public life as a performer and entertainer. Likewise future events are generally updated as soon as possible. I've been able to do all this with the help of others like Hank Reineke, and Terry Ala Berry who either know of or kept records of all this stuff. Occasionally some of our friends here have corrected information or added to it as well. arlo.net has become a repository of our collective adventures.

Events that took place are important, not because I was there, but because they took place. It's not only my personal history but our collective history. I just happened to there some of the time, and it shows up here in our schedule. When added to a larger view, we get a history of what was important to us through the generations, especially through the turbulent times of the 1960s through the times in which we now are living. It's the record that shows we were there.

We are still there. We are here now. And more than that, we've been here awhile. Congratulation to arlo.net for being with us for so long and especially to Dave who made it possible. Happy 25th Birthday! Long May You Run...

Post subject: Re: ARLO.NET TURNS 25
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
Although it's hard to pinpoint and exact date, May is probably the month where 25 years ago Dave created arlo.net. It moved from the old board system (which still exists) to its own thing. For the next 25 years arlo.net has been the source of reliable information with everything concerning what we do, what's going on, what we'd like to do, and what everyone thinks about all that. It has also been a forum for things that are important to you individually. arlo.net became our face to the world through the internet.

Our volunteer monitors, past and present have tried their best to insure that our web pages remained free of advertising, self-promotional material and BS in general. They've done a great job. The end result of all this is that our presence on the web has gathered a historic collection of thoughts, comments and ideas. It's especially valuable because it's been around since the very beginning.

Over the years and decades I've been adding and correcting the dates in our schedule. It is the single most comprehensive collection of everything we've done, and everywhere we've been, that exists anywhere. I'm still adding things (as I discover them) that go back to the very start of my public life as a performer and entertainer. Likewise future events are generally updated as soon as possible. I've been able to do all this with the help of others like Hank Reineke, and Terry Ala Berry who either know of or kept records of all this stuff. Occasionally some of our friends here have corrected information or added to it as well. arlo.net has become a repository of our collective adventures.

Events that took place are important, not because I was there, but because they took place. It's not only my personal history but our collective history. I just happened to there some of the time, and it shows up here in our schedule. When added to a larger view, we get a history of what was important to us through the generations, especially through the turbulent times of the 1960s through the times in which we now are living. It's the record that shows we were there.

We are still there. We are here now. And more than that, we've been here awhile. Congratulation to arlo.net for being with us for so long and especially to Dave who made it possible. Happy 25th Birthday! Long May You Run...

Yeah, congratulations arlo.net ! And thanks Dave for making it possible!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:44 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:

I understand.
And I'm glad you're still hanging in there with arlo.net.
The virus is not going to get us.
Neither will this lockdown.
Yeah I feel it it's really weird. I know.
Going to be alright.
We're going to be all right!
Let's hang in there okay?
Carol

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

….and speaking of a Florida Panther, I wish you could have seen that big ol' Possum trekking up a ways with her babies holding onto her back.

It was like seeing a Unicorn.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:26 am

The Folkslinger

I've seen panthers twice now in our wild neck of the woods. Both times they were young - Not fully grown. But the sightings were years apart, so obviously different individuals. With so few around it's hard to figure out how they meet up. I guess they know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I didn’t see the moon last night (I see you did, another nice share!), but it is clear today and I will have a look out soon

And while we are talking about various things…

This Full Moon is also Vesak.

:)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:50 am

Arlo Fanatic

..and another. Thanks for sharing!

https://www.facebook.com/arloguthrie/po ... ?__tn__=-R

I saw it too!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:32 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:

I saw it too!

Yeah it was a good night for pix... Clear skies, low humidity etc. That was a few days ago. Today (Sunday, May 10th) it's pouring rain - Nice that we could use it, but not so nice for pixies. Might be this way for a few days. Last days on the river...

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

I saw it too!

Yeah it was a good night for pix... Clear skies, low humidity etc. That was a few days ago. Today (Sunday, May 10th) it's pouring rain - Nice that we could use it, but not so nice for pixies. Might be this way for a few days. Last days on the river...

Maybe you will even get a few dreamy rainy pics by the river before you go to take with you.

Anyhow, wishing you well in your new place.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:55 am

The Folkslinger

Today we move the stuff to the little house up the road. Marti's house is called "Lil' Hollywood" as it's essentially in the area known by that name. Last night was the last night we spent on the river at the CrabHouse. Off to a new start today. Then eventually sometime after Memorial Day we'll head up to The Berkshires.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It is nice that it is a place that is already home.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Greetings and congrats from Ireland. Have enjoyed the site. Thanks to all concerned and all the best for whatever the future brings. Still remember that windy night in Wexford Arlo and later at the Button Factory in Dublin.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:24 am

The Folkslinger

We're 'officially' moved. The CrabHouse era has come to a close. 30+ years ago we purchased the property April 1st (1989). It's been a great time. Thanks to all who have been along for the ride. We're heading to the farm soon, and will be back online more often once we've settled in at the old homestead. It'll be a new adventure. The old place has been going through some much needed renovations and I'm excited to get home and get going.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Are we there yet?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:33 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
Are we there yet?

We're not at The Farm yet, but we've moved to Lil' Hollywood, which is about a mile away from the old CrabHouse. No longer on the Indian River, but now along the St. Sebastian River. Much smaller river, smaller house, but still nearby the places and friends we love. We'll head up to The Farm in a few days.