Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: David Grover 1952-2021
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:11 pm

The Folkslinger

My friend and lead guitarist for many years, David Grover passed away November 3, 2021. He had been ill for a while. That’s the short story. For more read on:

Hank Grover (David’s father) was the head of the Berkshire Folk-Music Society, and put together one of the first, if not THE first ticketed events I ever did. I was still a kid in high school. And my friends and I performed at the Berkshire Atheneum probably around 1962 or 1963. If David and I met, he would have been very young at the time. David’s older brother, Michael played my roommate while I was attending college in Montana, for the film “Alice’s Restaurant. The Grovers have been a part of my life for a long time.

Somewhere along about 1975 I did a show in Worthington, MA in order to help build and fund a local health clinic. It’s still there and doing very well. Just before the show in Worthington, I’d run into the local band Shenandoah. David Grover was the lead guitar player and arranger. I was so impressed by them that I asked if they would do the gig with me. They agreed, and we began working together for the next 20+ years. The band members were David Grover, David Carron, Dan Velika and Terry Hall - all local guys and terrific people.

Sadly within a couple of years or less, David Carron passed away …. Far too young, He’d had a fatal brain annurism. Steve & Carol Ide joined the crew afterward and remained throughout as members of the band. Rob Putnum and Bob Williams were also were with us for awhile as different bandmates came and went, but we kept the music going doing thousands of shows around the USA and the world. David Grover and I arranged the songs for vocals and instruments with the very able help of everyone who was there, including my dear friend, John Pilla. Eventually my son, Abe joined the crew, and began to take over the arrangements as musical director, keyboards and vocals.

After roughly 25 years of working on the road together, David moved on to pursue other things. He had his own TV show ”Grover’s Corner” on PBS, and did many recordings, and live concerts for children. He worked with Aaron Schroeder co-writing songs. We continued to work on projects together. He began producing and arranging for me. Especially notable was a record of old cowboy songs “Son of the Wind”, which we recorded in Dalton, MA. It remains one of my personal favorite albums.

When David passed away November 3rd it felt like another important mile marker passed on the long road we shared. The last time we played together was in August of 2018 at The Guthrie Center in Great Barrington. We scheduled a mini reunion of Shenandoah with me as a part of a series we were doing. It was a great time as anyone who was there can testify. We laughed, and played some old songs together.

I can tell you this: When people are stuck together for months at a time in a 45 foot tin can (bus), for 9 months a year, for decades, you get to know each other pretty well. Unlike almost every band you ever heard of, we had a good time for all of it, not just the good times or the early days. I mean all of it. I had the unique pleasure of working with some of the nicest people, as well as really wonderful players. David Grover was one of ‘em.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yes! This is what I read on your Rising Son face book, and wanted to respond somehow and responded on the Arlo forums. Thanks for sharing here. I am just going to repost what I put up there over here because I think it belongs here:

Arlo, I just read about David Grover. I am so sorry to hear this news. (Without going into too much detail about how I can see some Face books sometimes, some not much or not at all I read on your Rising Son Records Face book your post about him.) A very nice tribute. I had no idea so many things about him but I do remember him from Shenandoah and though only “knowing” him from a distance, he did seem like a kind person. Anyway, I really just wanted to send love out to everyone.

Somewhere I was reading that there was a muppet made in his image so I wanted to post this in his honor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTaT7KnkMqU

<3 <3 <3

————

(Found it)

Here is the article where I read about the muppet. Really nice article

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/sou ... 6926f.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Like I said, “I had no idea so many things”

Boy! Was I missing out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pfz07QQ_w0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Okay, I don’t think I see David Grover here, but I do see some other legendary Shenandoah members. This is EPIC, also from Rising Son Records face book

Would love to share it here as well as like one of those celebration of life jubilees
(I hope this link works)

https://www.facebook.com/RisingSonRecor ... 541097895/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:56 pm

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
Okay, I don’t think I see David Grover here, but I do see some other legendary Shenandoah members. This is EPIC, also from Rising Son Records face book

Would love to share it here as well as like one of those celebration of life jubilees
(I hope this link works)

Yeah at the time, Rob Putnum (also not seen) had taken over Grovers place in the band, altho Grover and I continued to work together on different projects. Fun times! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

(I hope this link works)

Yeah at the time, Rob Putnum (also not seen) had taken over Grovers place in the band, altho Grover and I continued to work together on different projects. Fun times! :)

Oh yes! This is before I ever saw him, and you! but I love it.

Much love

Good vibes up!

<3