Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:57 am
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Nov 21, 2006
Posts: 179
Location: South Jersey
I know it's been said before but, just having been watching television, I wish SOMEBODY in either party would make a campaign ad where they talked about themselves. I'm sure at least 3/4 of the population only knows of either candidate is what the other one is saying about him.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:14 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 06, 1999
Posts: 999
Location: massachusetts
bhaklava wrote:
kj wrote:
.. how is it different than *some* Muslims and Jihad.???..




Since I appear to be the lone Muslim in the group ( :shock: ), a word about jihad. Yes, it is in the Koran, but, what the nut case fringe groups fail to do is read. The real jihad is in yourself every day - fighting your own ego, thoughts, actions, and words. They overlook the fact that you cannot do battle with someone else until you have done battle with yourself. And, seems to me, if you're so together that you've squelched all negativity within yourself, that you would end up pretty enlightened and just love everyone else.


sounds like the Bible to me,
Bhak...
so maybe the fundamentalist right is similar to the fundamentalist Muslims???...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:50 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
Extremists and fundamentists that become militant have more in common with each other than they may have in common with people that share their own faith, whether christian, jew, muslim.......whatever.
For this christian raised boy(me), I like to think I have more in common with other christians that sing "Amazing Grace" than I do with the ones that sing "Onward Christian Soldiers". Ya know what I'm saying?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:06 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
By the way, did anyone else notice that at the RNC, some guy was holding up a "maverick" sign to support McCain with maverick spelled wrong? I saw it during the televised events there. He spelled it "mavrick".
Considering at the RNC they probably had some kinda sign police, I found that both refreshing and scary, and I'm a lousy speller! :shock: :D


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:50 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
[quote="kj"][quote="bhaklava"][quote="kj"].. how is it different than *some* Muslims and Jihad.???..
[/quote]



Since I appear to be the lone Muslim in the group ( :shock: ), a word about jihad. Yes, it is in the Koran, but, what the nut case fringe groups fail to do is read. The real jihad is in yourself every day - fighting your own ego, thoughts, actions, and words. They overlook the fact that you cannot do battle with someone else until you have done battle with yourself. And, seems to me, if you're so together that you've squelched all negativity within yourself, that you would end up pretty enlightened and just love everyone else.[/quote]

sounds like the Bible to me,
Bhak...
so maybe the fundamentalist right is similar to the fundamentalist Muslims???...[/quote]

I am a fundamentalist atheist and I say

oh what the fuck, you guys win and anyone who disagrees will just burn in hell,

damn its hot in here, i wish that f'n rapture would come and get rid of these Goddamn religious fruits![list=][/list]


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:36 pm
  

ArloNetizen

Joined: Apr 04, 2007
Posts: 90
Image


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:21 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
:lol: (chortle)--Great bumper sticker! Sad truth if it happens. It. Can. Not.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:39 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2493
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
I dunno. The more I read, the more I think that Bhaklava was saying that most people who's first language is american english, don't understand what jihad is...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:26 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
and now white women overwelming like McCain? what is up with that white women?


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:56 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRe ... 7920080909

i am not kidding? the power of genitalia is amazing!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:46 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jul 06, 2008
Posts: 2531
Images: 2
Location: Crawfordville, Florida
It's supposed to be!!!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 am
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Jul 04, 2007
Posts: 634
Conservative white female voters considering selecting a "mavrick" and a maverick running mate, one to be the leader of the free world, and the other to step in should harm cross his path, would bode well to consider all aspects of "being able to deliver" once the emotional tides subside.

The tides have changed for sure (if anyone could recognize a movement afoot it would be Obama's campain stragety team, Axelrod, Plouffe,etc). But the interesting quote came from Barack himself, who said in more or less words, that when the dust settles, the question will be who can actually deliver on the promises we care about. I hope the media will do the responsible thing and deliver on this, and leave the rhetoric behind.

On White Women Voters:
Projecting that a McCain/Palin administration can make "real change "based on some changes Palin made to the oil industry in Alaska, is a reach. Also, my dear Sarah, you may have chosen to go ahead and have a Down syndrome child, but the operative word here is 'chosen'. ( Please see constitution for further explanation.)

Women with high risk pregnancies, defined as pregnancies presenting any high risk factor or over 35 years of age, are now expected to have amniocentesis. The purpose of this is not to open the door to an abortion should the results not please you, but is primarily for the OB to determine how to proceed with prenatal care, and what team to assemble at childbirth to handle an identified high risk birth.

I would submit that her "Pro-choice" stand indicates a fundamental flaw which I consider serious enough to question Palin herself as the right choice.

How about if we lived in a society that determined high risk births, or handicapped children place an unnecessary financial burden on the economy and they all needed to be aborted? Is that not the dark side of a constitution with no choice?

I have found that most conservative white female voters go along with their husband's choice anyway, or risk their wrath, so selecting a pro-life female just makes it a hell of a lot easier to get them out. So much for power.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:01 pm
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Jan 01, 2000
Posts: 134
Location: Texas
Goofus wrote:
I dunno. The more I read, the more I think that Bhaklava was saying that most people who's first language is american english, don't understand what jihad is...

no, goofus, most people whose 1st language is Arabic don't understand the concept....or any other fundamental types for that matter. :cry:


          Top  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: May 25, 2001
Posts: 3074
Location: Colorado Rocky Mountain High
My feeling has always been that there's something fundamentally wrong with fundamentalism (of whatever type).


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Oct 06, 1999
Posts: 999
Location: massachusetts
so i was making phone calls last evening for moveon.org at a phone party to recruit folks to campaign for Obama... it's not a real poll, of course, but got assigned Philly and every single person I talked to said how afraid they are....
(all were Moveon members).... of Sarah Palin... that she would sink the election...

and i'm afraid too...

she's like watching Donna Reed holding a a polite shotgun... you might not even notice you're bleeding to death...but you are.... you really, really are...

and McCain...much as i hate his politics ... i can't muster even dislike for him...he's like the grandpa i never had...

and all that's trouble in a country where unfortunately so few take the time to really understand the depths of issues and stuff...

so what i said to myself and eventually to folks on the phone was.... fear can paralyze you... fear can motivate you.... we gotta work twice three times as hard... its serious...


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group