Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Man I look at some of these dates and I can say that I now wish that I kept my ticket stubs. Perhaps Arlo or somebody can help me iwth this one. I am thinking that this concert was somehere arond 1980 or so down on the south shore in Massachusetts. I believe they called the place the south shore music circus and it had a rotating stage. I also remember Arlo that you were with Pete. I do remember it being a great show, as they all are, and that it was under a tent. JMy sister said that it was in 1978 but I think it was more like 1980. I also believe that I had seen you at the Shubert theatre in Boston and I believe that this was the show that was in 1978. The debate is now on between my sister and I. Can someone clear this up for us?
-Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:51 pm

BlunderVirgin

A couple more things: Arlo's first show with Shenandoah (with the late Dave Carron) was in Philadelphia. This must have been in 1974, but I may be off a year. I remember the place as Independence Hall, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I have no paperwork from this era as I may not have had any pockets. I mistakenly used June 17 as the NYC Town Hall concert, when it was April 17. I confused it with the 1st NYC Folk Festival, which was June 17-20 at Carnegie Hall, which I don't see that Arlo played in. However (here goes) the April 17, 1965 Town Hall Concert for Woody contained: "Why oh Why" by Pete Seeger, "Roll on Columbia: by Logan English, "Long Gone Turkey in the Corn" by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, "Talking Undertaker Blues" by Pat Sky, "Oklahoma Hills" by ADG and Ramblin' Jack, "Jesus Christ" by Jolly Robinson, "Talking Fishing Blues" by Ramblin' Jack, "Fox Chase (Hi head blues)" by S.Terry and B.McGee,"Woody's Rag" by Pete and Pat Sky, "Tom Joad" by Ramblin' Jack (with a poem read by Logan English, "Ship In The Sky" by ADG, "Weary Hobo" by Pete and Jolly, "St. Louis Baby" and "Separation Blues"by Pat Sky (there was a transition here which I'm a little confused about now), "Jack Hammer John" by Logan English, Sonny and Brownie, then Pete quoting Woody, and finishing the 1st half with "I've Got To Know". The 2nd half started with an ensemble number doing "New York Town", then "Talking Working Blues" by Logan English, "Vigilante Man" by Jolly and Pat, 'There's a Hole In the Wall Where I Live" and "When the Saints" by Sonny and Brownie, "Do Re Me" by Arlo and Jack, "Don't Want You Hanging 'Round" by Pat, "1913 Massacre" by Jack, "Mail Myself To You" by Pete, then everyone finishing with "This Land Is Your Land". I may write more later.

Last edited by mgrover on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

mgrover, hi. I do recall a show not far from Independence Hall at Old Swede's Church in Philly. From what I remember, Jack Elliott was there, along with several others I can't recall now. I do remember Arlo talking about the kids "needing ice cream."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:52 am

ArloNetizen

hearing how far back shows ending with "this land is your land" gives me more insight into adg's reply to me that whats true for the boss is true for him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:08 am

Senior ArloNetizen

1986-07-12 /most likely Vienna, VA, but not completely sure / The Filene Center (ditto) / with Pete

This is from a journal entry I made, rather than a ticket stub, but I'm fairly sure it's accurate. I didn't note the venue, but 90% of the time they played Wolf Trap in this area. The other contender would be Merriweather in Columbia. (I'm going through a nostalgia/cleaning house phase and once in awhile I come across something worthwhile. )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:55 am

Arlo Fanatic

That gigs was here in VA before I became a blunderite. And yeah back then he did Wolftrap or Merriweather more. Now it's the Birchmere and Hampton, VA these days...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:39 pm

BlunderVirgin

Did I see Arlo at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin, Texas?
Maybe 70's or 80's? With Shenandoah‎...
I think so.
I think the last time I saw him was at Gruene Hall in Texas- was that around 2000?
Is this database available somewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:46 pm

BlunderVirgin

Arlo and Pete played an outdoor show in the Baltimore harbor. I think it was called Pier 6. I think it was around 1979-81. It was a great show but I wished he had played guabie-guabie. I don't think he came back to Baltimore much after that. It was a hot summer nite as this venue only put on summer shows (and still does I think). I was with my future wife and someone left their front row seat during the show and I grabbed it. Left my wife 20 rows back. Great show. I have not seen Arlo since but may try to catch him in Del. this month.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:19 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site. Thanks for sharing your concert memory. You'll have to go to that Delaware show. I went to see him there once and it was nice...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 am

Arlo Fanatic

Man your making the folkslinger show his age now. nt : ya'll got fantastic memories. Give or take a year. lol

kind regards/ rb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:11 pm

BlunderVirgin

The very first post indicates that if I click "The ULTIMATE Show Database" I'll get a listing by year, but it takes me to this forum instead. One of the forums is 31 pages of setlists and I found nothing there either. I must be doing something wrong...

I'm trying to confirm my first date with my wife was the 1971 concert at the Hec Edmondson pavillion on the U of W campus the second or third week of February. I've went to the library and pulled all the microfilms for both newspapers and found nothing.

BTW, no mention of all his concerts at "The Backstage" in the 1980s. Arlo parked the bus right outside the front door at the curb and shook hands with everyone waiting to get in.

I just purchased tickets to his May 1 concert in Kent, WA. My wife and I do zero concerts with one exception: Arlo. This will be about number 12 or so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

I guess ultimate is in the eye of the beholder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:23 pm

BlunderVirgin

I paged through all the post and didn't see this show posted. the date:

2000-5-27 Buckeye Lake Music Center Hebron, OH.

It was a three day festival called Hookahville Spring 2000. Arlo played Saturday and also had his daughter Sarah Lee Guthrie sit in on a few songs... if my memory serves. The week’s line-up was:
eskoostik hookah, Ratdog, David Grisman Quintet, Arlo Guthrie and Deep Banana Blackout.

Here is the link with the line up and everyones setlist except Arlo's: http://www.hookahville.com/events/13_Sp ... index.html

I was fortunate enough to get and original concert poster number 171/200 from that weekend.

If you have any info on the set list I would greatly appreciate it, as it is one of only a handful of set list I don't have in my personal data base... the one that my wife still shakes her head at in disbelief and calls me a music nerd.

Looking forward to Arlo's upcoming shows in Ohio March 2011!

Cheers,
-IBM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site! I wanted to plan my annual 2 weeks trip to see my late hubby Mikes late sister and her family around it. But I didn't get to go. I think he did some gigs near here in VA around that time so I had to go to Ohio the next month...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:26 pm

BlunderVirgin

Swedish television, TV4 Nyhetsmorgon, January 10:
Arlo performed two songs:
- Alabama Bound (12 string guitar)
- Darkest Hour ("It's the tenth of January...")