Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:04 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
where i live now, they serve brown gravy if you order a chicken fry, It is just another one of those things you have to do yourself if you want it done right!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:02 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8359
anyone else ever had scrapple?
this from the scrapple article on wikipedia:
"with a flavor and ingredients that cannot and should not be described in words."

so quite naturally (as a kid anyhow) i loved it.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:57 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 6517
Location: New Jersey
Scrapple: Roadkill in a skillett consisting mostly of what the vultures and crows left behind.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:06 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Jul 02, 2007
Posts: 86
Location: Eastern North America from Key West to points north
Scrapple: road kill in a skillet after the buzzards, vultures and crows have fouled what they left behind. I'm not sure a maggot would find scrapple appetising. :twisted:

Bon Appetite Mssr. Maggot.

Hmmm I like to eat meat but scrapple ain't meat. Its well; It could make me go vegan if veggieburgers didn't taste so foul either. :twisted:


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:09 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Oct 18, 2004
Posts: 2251
now that I live in the Pennsylvania Dutch Country i can talk like I know Scrapple, they say slice it thin and fry it crisp...I always say could you just please pass the grits?


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:03 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8359
hoo! that was better than confessing at a confessional...not that i've ever been to one, but i have seen one on tv.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:43 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jun 09, 2004
Posts: 1931
Location: Brisbane OZ
Well Root Beer is not common here, but there is a place up in Bundaberg that makes a fairdinkum,natural Root Beer and also very good Ginger Beer and Horehound.
You should see the quizzical look on peoples faces when I offer 'em a Root Beer Float. I'm not normally a soft drink (soda pop) drinkin' gal, (mostly water and good quality tea) but a RBF goes down well here in the heat of summer. Anyway some people like it and some don't.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:06 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
The Pennsylvania Dutch Country type scrapple is sooo good. I had it somewhere recently. Might've been in Ohio. Yum...


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:53 pm
  

User avatar
Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Posts: 275
Location: Southborough, Massachusetts
We (college dazed freaks) used to drive up through Amish country on the way to CT from the Shenandoah Valley. One time we stopped for cigs and gas at this place in the boondocks. This old guy with an abe lincoln beard in overalls looked like he was going to kill us as we galked at the 2 very attractive country girls waiting on us,.....most likely his daughters.

Scrapple's OK............with apple butter......though the closest thing in NE would be spam (a truly scary concoction...perhaps related to mechanically separated poultry....which this guy told me is like beaks and eyes and feet)

Hey has anyone had/made real sassafras tea ? My father in law said he was served some and it buzzed his head severely....we have a giant grove of sassafras trees in our yard.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:39 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 1999
Posts: 8359
i don't think i ever made sassafras tea, but i am pretty sure i remember making some kind of sarsaparilla tea, sweetened it with a little apple juice which was pretty good in the summer drank cold.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:56 am
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Sep 12, 2000
Posts: 353
cliffite wrote:
I am a Texian, we eats chicken fried steak.


I knew I liked you!! Chicken fried steak is comfort food...blacked-eyed peas (or better yet, crowder or purple hull) (?) peas) with cornbread and onion and figs and tomato, oh my!

Now I'm hungry!!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:13 am
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
fitzy wrote:

Chicken fried steak is comfort food...blacked-eyed peas (or better yet, crowder or purple hull) (?) peas) with cornbread and onion and figs and tomato, oh my!

Now I'm hungry!!


Don't forget the pear relish to go with the peas, and end it with sour green grape pie and cream, or homemade peach ice cream.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:24 am
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 13, 2000
Posts: 8521
Location: Pixley-- Actually An Hr South of Richmond, VA
Chicken fried steak is sooo good. In some areas around here they call it country fried steak. Yum...


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:46 pm
  

User avatar
Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Jan 09, 2003
Posts: 2493
Images: 5
Location: Rhododendron, Oregon United States
cliffite wrote:
You do sound like a Aussie in overalls, Louise... I know... I have listened in awe to your accent. As for my faux pas in food from across the pond... well... I am a Texian, we eats chicken fried steak.


I beg to differ...here's what I hear they eat in Texas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

We actually ignored the warning and tried this at home. Really tasted good. I could only eat one piece though...


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 pm
  

Arlo Fanatic

Joined: Sep 15, 2001
Posts: 3682
Location: Dallas, Texas
I'm a fifth-generation native Texan, and I have never heard of that. It's intriguingly evil.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group